Friday, December 28, 2012

From the Stacks: Succubus Blues

The main pick for the Vaginal Fantasy book club in December. The live Google+ hangout to discuss the book will be December 30th at 2PM Pacific. Sadly I'll have to watch it after I get off work that day, but my review is here now.



Summary:

"When it comes to jobs in hell, being a succubus seems pretty glamorous. A girl can be anything she wants, the wardrobe is killer, and mortal men will do anything just for a touch. Granted, they often pay with their souls, but why get technical?

But Seattle succubus Georgina Kincaid's life is far less exotic. At least there's her day job at a local bookstore - free books; all the white chocolate mochas she can drink; and easy access to bestselling, sexy writer, Seth Mortensen, aka He Whom She Would Give Anything to Touch but Can't.

But dreaming about Seth will have to wait. Something wicked is at work in Seattle's demon underground. And for once, all of her hot charms and drop-dead one-liners won't help because Georgina's about to discover there are some creatures out there that both heaven and hell want to deny..."

My Thoughts:

First, I would like to point out that my copy of the book is the Mass Market Paperback version, which has an updated cover. It was released a couple years ago and since then they've released the Mass Market Paperbacks of the second and third books. Since I like those covers better, those are the ones I am going to purchase myself.

Moving on, I really enjoy Richelle Mead. She is one of my favorite authors, period. I stumbled upon Vampire Academy in the library, devoured it, and then continued on, reading every single book I could find.  It doesn't matter if the book is YA or Adult; they are all amazing. Succubus Blues follows Georgina, who has been a succubus for quite some time and she is one of those girls who doesn't exactly take pleasure in her job...well, at least the succubus job. Her other job is at a bookstore and honestly that might be what really drew me into the series.

I admire Georgina's restraint. At one point I remember her making a comment that she only reads 10 pages a night so she can enjoy the book and doesn't just devour it in one fell swoop. I could never show that sort of restraint towards books. And then there's Seth, adorable writer Seth, and Georgina is obsessed with him and his writing.

The characters in this book are great, having these supernatural abilities and such while at the same time being rather grounded in normalcy. It is a very nice balance and I appreciate that. I feel bad for Georgina in the fact that she can't be with Seth in a sexual manner because of who she is, and I feel bad for Seth because I want them to be together but I cannot imagine being in a relationship with someone knowing that they are going out and sleeping with a bunch of other people. Seth is seriously a saint.

I highly recommend any books by Richelle Mead. Seriously, go check them out. 5/5.

Succubus Blues at Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/succubus-blues-richelle-mead/1100324771?ean=9780821780770

Succubus Blues at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Succubus-Blues-Richelle-Mead/dp/0821780778/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356756395&sr=8-1&keywords=Succubus+Blues

Other Readings:

Wow...I can't believe we are almost at the end of 2012. It's crazy. I've been pulling together some ideas for which books to read and then review for my From the Stacks posts for at least the first couple of months. Right now my to-read list on Goodreads has 590 books on it, and I know at least 100 of those are books I own but for some reason or another haven't quite gotten around to reading yet. I'm hoping to find a nice balance of YA books and then sf/f books. It may be that next year I start trying to do something like 6 From the Stacks posts a month instead of just one every Friday. What do you guys think? Tomorrow I should have my review of Anton Strout's Alchemystic ready for you guys. Until then, happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment