Saturday, December 22, 2012

From the Stacks: Soulless

I admit it...I enjoy books/movies etc that are a comedy of manners. I had to get through several plays of the sort in my British Humor literature class in college. Soulless fits the bill, and also includes vampires, werewolves, and people born without souls. It is quite enjoyable and I do recommend it.



Summary:

"Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.

Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire - and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?

SOULLESS is a comedy of manners set in Victorian London: full of werewolves, vampires, dirigibles, and tea-drinking."

My Thoughts:

Poor Alexia Tarabotti. In the beginning she seems to be in a rather difficult spot, being a spinster with seemingly no prospects, and on top of that she has no soul, which is an interesting concept to begin with. Then a vampire tries to attack her and it ends up being quite helpful that she is soulless, because he is unable to bite her. I so loved that little twist and I honestly hadn't expected it which made it even more delightful. The touch of Alexia, or anyone who is without a soul, allows a vampire or a werewolf to lose the "monster" and be human again, which was one of the coolest tricks ever. Of course in the incidence of this vampire, it ends up leading to his death, which nicely begins this little tale.

The incident also brings in the yummy Lord Maccon, who is most definitely alpha werewolf, and as typically happens, Alexia ends up being right in the middle of the problems in London and being around Lord Maccon a great deal. Another fascinating character in the series is Lord Akeldama, who is one of Alexia's friends and just happens to be a vampire, and quite a flamboyant one at that. I absolutely adored him. 

Soulless was an amusing and enjoyable book, and I had considered buying it for quite some time when it became the main pick for the Vaginal Fantasy book club. Now I am extremely glad that I read it, and I have bought the other four books in the series, though I have yet to read them. I know I need to do that soon, but I already have such a huge TBR pile that I haven't the slightest idea when I will get around to them. It is in situations such as this that I really wish I had more free time or more time where I could be left alone long enough to read more books and write more reviews.

This thoroughly enjoyable comedy of manners receives a 5/5 from me.

Soulless at Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/soulless-gail-carriger/1100269643?ean=9780316056632

Soulless at Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Soulless-Parasol-Protectorate-Gail-Carriger/dp/0316056634/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356236895&sr=1-1&keywords=Soulless

Soulless (the manga) at Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/soulless-the-manga-vol-1-gail-carriger/1108563613?ean=9780316182010

Soulless (the manga) at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Soulless-Manga-Vol-Parasol-Protectorate/dp/031618201X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356236895&sr=1-3&keywords=Soulless

Other Readings:

I'm still finishing up a few books before the end of the year, but tomorrow I will be back with another bonus From the Stacks post, where I will be returning to the Elemental series by Brigid Kemmerer and reviewing the second novella and the second novel of the series. I seriously am in love with those Merrick boys. Until next time, everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment