Tuesday, December 25, 2012

From the Stacks: City of Lost Souls

I realize that this is the fifth book of the series and as I hadn't started the blog when I read the others, I don't have reviews for them, but I needed a book to review, so here we are.



Summary:

"The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace freed from captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing, so is the boy she hates: her brother Sebastian, who is determined to bring the Shadowhunters to their knees.

The Clave's magic cannot locate either boy, but Jace can't stay away from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith's magic has wrought - Jace and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other.

Only a few people believe that Jace can still be saved. Together, Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle bargain with the sinister Seelie Queen, contemplate deals with demons, and turn at last to the merciless, weapon-making Iron Sisters, who might be able to forge a weapon that can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. If the Iron Sisters can't help, their only hope is to challenge Heaven and Hell - a risk that could claim their lives.

And they must do it without Clary. For Clary is playing a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace's soul. She's willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series."

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed the first four books and couldn't stop reading them. This book though...I've had it for almost six weeks now and I just now finished it. I've had it sitting on my desk and I basically had no great desire to pick it up to read. I don't know what it was about this book, but I just wasn't as interested in it. There are a great number of series where there are numerous books. When I was a kid I read the Animorphs series by K.A. Applegate and there were 54 books, plus the Megamorphs and Alternamorphs specials and a couple other bonus books, and those drew me in and held my interest through the whole series. 

But here, with City of Lost Souls, I just felt that it is getting dull and repetitive. It is still well-written and such, but I'm just not as excited by it. Why does it seem like every book Cassandra Clare has to find a way to keep Clary and Jace apart. It's just old. At this point I'm more interested in the Magnus/Alec relationship and the Simon/Isabelle relationship. Clary and Jace just seem too...I don't even think predictable is really the right word, but really I basically knew what they both would do and say because they are that tragic couple who would sacrifice anything to save the other. 

I'll keep reading these books to satisfy my curiosity because I don't like to drop a series I've spent so much time reading and wondering about, but that's about it. I'm actually more interested in the Infernal Devices series than I am the Mortal Instruments right now, but nevertheless, I'm glad I finally got around to reading this book. Anyway, I'm curious to see if Isabelle will take that big step forward in their relationship since Simon won't, and I want to know if Alec will find a way to make up for the mistakes he made in City of Lost Souls. Also, I really want to have Jocelyn and Luke get married already, seriously. And, okay, I'm a little curious about Jace being filled with heavenly fire now, but since book six, City of Heavenly Fire, isn't expected until 2014, I won't waste too much time thinking about all of this.

The book is well written and is fairly interesting so I give it a 4/5.

City of Lost Souls at Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/city-of-lost-souls-cassandra-clare/1104511184?ean=9781442460676

City of Lost Souls at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/City-Lost-Souls-Mortal-Instruments/dp/1442416866/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356493311&sr=8-1&keywords=City+of+Lost+Souls

Other Readings:

For Christmas I bought myself a couple of books with money given to me by my grandmother. One of those books was Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines, because I simply couldn't continue on without owning my own copy. The other one I bought is Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes, and I can't wait to read it. Also on my to-read list and will most likely be reviewed in January are: Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter, Embers in a Dark Frost by Kelly Keaton, Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi, and Coveted by Shawntelle Madison. I am going to attempt for 2013 to have some semblance of balance in my reviews between YA books and adult books.

No comments:

Post a Comment