Saturday, December 29, 2012

From the Stacks: Alchemystic

I admit it...I've had a thing for gargoyles since my childhood when I watched that animated Gargoyles show on TV. Today, I am taking flight with the first book in The Spellmason Chronicles by Anton Strout, which to me makes it seem like gargoyles could really exist.



Summary:

"Alexandra Belarus is a struggling artist living in New York City until she's forced into her family's real estate empire, which includes a towering Gothic Gramercy Park building built by her great-great-grandfather. But the truth of her bloodline is revealed when she is attacked on the street and saved by an inhumanly powerful winged figure. A figure who knows the Belarus name...

Lexi's great-great-grandfather was a Spellmason - an artisan who could work magic on stone. But in his day, dark forces conspired against him and his, so he left a spell of protection on his family. Now that Lexi is in danger, her ancestor's magic has awoken his most trusted and fearsome creation: a gargoyle named Stanis.

Lexi and Stanis are equally surprised to find themselves bound to each other. But as they learn to work together, they realize that only united can they save the city they both love..."

My Thoughts:

This was a very intriguing book. I thought the setting and the alchemical processes and such were described really well and I felt quite immersed in the world. The novel switches back and forth in POV, from Stanis the gargoyle (or grotesque as the characters prefer to say) and Lexi, who is discovering all sorts of secrets about her family and the power of Spellmasons. 

Stanis and Lexi have an interesting relationship and I'm curious to see what happens as the series progresses. I really loved all the characters in this book. Lexi's brother Devon was a jerk, her parents were...cringe-worthy in their holier than thou attitudes, and her best friend Rory (short for Aurora) was a kick-ass fierce dancer woman. But, I'm sorry, my absolute favorite character was geek-boy Marshall. I adored all of his D&D references and nerdom and his sheer awesomeness. Seriously, I want more Marshall.

Oh, and I'm not going to spoil the surprise but something happened about 2/3 of the way in that I was not expecting and that was awesome. It is not often that a book can throw me for a loop like that so way to go, Mr. Strout. Needless to say, I am eagerly awaiting the next book, due out in September 2013. Alchemystic is a 5/5.

Other Readings:

I went to the library today and picked up a few books: Old Man's War by John Scalzi (the January pick for Sword & Laser), as well as Unearthly by Cynthia Hand, Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins, and a book I've heard great things about, Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. So, I'm really looking forward to the books I'll be finishing up in early January 2013. It's going to be a great year; I can tell already.

No comments:

Post a Comment