Monday, December 31, 2012

From the Stacks: Leviathan Wakes

Okay, and the time has finally come for me to jump into Leviathan Wakes, an interesting sci-fi adventure that took me far too long to read.



Summary:

"Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and the crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe."

My Thoughts:

There really were some things I absolutely loved about this book. I should probably point out for those who don't know, I usually am a fantasy reader, or a paranormal romance or YA reader. I'm also a sucker for a good piece of classic literature (probably why I ended up getting a B.A. in English Literature), but I'm trying to expand my horizons.

I've mentioned a few times a couple book clubs I joined, one being Vaginal Fantasy Hangout, and I've reviewed a few of those books already, but the other is Sword & Laser, which started as a podcast and is also a group on Goodreads, but last year it also joined the lineup on the Geek & Sundry channel on YouTube, becoming a web show as well. Sword & Laser is hosted by Tom Merritt and Veronica Belmont. I love the series and because they alternate their book picks from fantasy to science fiction, it has given me that push I need to try new things.

Leviathan Wakes was the book pick in July 2012, and that's when I started reading it. Though the characters were interesting and there was great development on the whole mystery of who was behind everything and what was going on, I could not read this book quickly. I typically read about 20 pages at a time and then would put the book aside to read something else. For some reason I was not so completely sucked into this book that I couldn't stop reading. I finally finished reading this book at the end of December 2012 and I'm glad I stuck with it and finished.

Overall I really was more interested in the chapters revolving around Holden and his crew, rather than those of Miller. Holden and his crew very much reminded me of the crew of the Serenity in the TV series Firefly. Their lifestyle, personalities, and banter really made me feel like I was watching some previously undiscovered episode and that was great. Miller's story ended up intertwining with Holden's but Miller was a detective, though I will say that Miller's mannerisms and such really reminded me of reading a Raymond Chandler novel, which was nice.

It was an interesting novel and I enjoyed learning about life in space, especially seeing as how this book also includes people inhabiting the asteroid belt between the inner planets and the outer planets of our solar system and creating this rather interesting society of people. I'm on the fence about whether or not I'll try to read the second book in the series. If I do read it, I'll probably wait a little while before I do.

So, even though it took forever for me to read, I thought it was well-written, well-researched, and had interesting and endearing characters. Leviathan Wakes earns a 4/5.

Leviathan Wakes at Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/leviathan-wakes-james-s-a-corey/1100293281?ean=9780316129084

Leviathan Wakes at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Leviathan-Wakes-Expanse-James-Corey/dp/0316129089/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357418629&sr=8-1&keywords=Leviathan+Wakes

Other Readings:

Well, I've almost finished my book to be reviewed tomorrow, Throne of Glass, and I am loving it so far. I've also started in on Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins and I seriously may have to add it as a bonus post next month. Oh, and I've made some really good progress on my first regular From the Stacks for 2013, Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment