Saturday, November 3, 2012

From the Stacks: Master of Crows

Sorry for not posting this up yesterday, but I was seriously exhausted after day one of NaNoWriMo. In the good news column, I managed to write 10,243 words on day one, but yesterday I was barely functioning. I was scheduled for first shift at work and I have not really been a morning person for years so when I got off work all I really wanted to do was sleep but I knew that would be a bad idea.

Anyway, I tried to write yesterday but every time I looked at my screen everything got blurry so I figured the best thing to do was to go to bed a couple hours early. But, I'm off work all weekend so I'll be giving my word count a nice boost over the next couple days. And now, onto Master of Crows by Grace Draven


Unlike most of the previous books I've reviewed this one is from an indie press so it's not exactly something you can find on Amazon or Barnes & Noble. However, it is available at Smashwords, and for just $2.99, it is a great deal.

Summary: (taken from Smashwords)

"What would you do to win your freedom? 

This is the question that sets bondwoman, Martise of Asher, on a dangerous path. In exchange for her freedom, she bargains with her masters, the mage-priests of Conclave, to spy on the renegade sorcerer, Silhara of Neith. The priests want Martise to expose the sorcerer's treachery and turn him over to Conclave justice. A risky endeavor, but one she accepts without hesitation--until she falls in love with her intended target. 

Silhara of Neith, Master of Crows, is a desperate man. The god called Corruption invades his mind, seducing him with promises of limitless power if he will help it gain dominion over the world. Silhara struggles against Corruption's influence and searches for ways to destroy the god. When Conclave sends Martise as an apprentice to help him, he knows she's a spy. Now he fights a war on two fronts--against the god who would possess him and the apprentice who would betray him. 

Mage and spy search together for a ritual that will annihilate Corruption, but in doing so, they discover secrets about each other that may damn them both. Silhara must decide if his fate, and the fate of nations, is worth the soul of the woman he has come to love, and Martise must choose continued enslavement or freedom at the cost of a man's life. And love."

My Thoughts:

OMG, you guys, this book totally gets a 5/5. I would love to read more by this author, but this is the only thing listed on Smashwords. I really wanted to know more about both Silhara and Martise, and I especially wanted to know more about this world. I'm curious about what happens at Conclave, as well, so there is definitely room for sequels and prequels.

Martise is an interesting character. Probably the first thing I remember about her is that she is described many times as having a beautiful speaking voice, and I still laugh at the point where it is discovered that this beauty does not translate to singing as well. I also enjoy that Martise is quite educated, knowing how to read and translate older texts, a skill that comes in handy as Silhara's apprentice.

Silhara was someone I sort of wanted to meet. He was tormented by this god, Corruption, and then had to deal with the temptation he felt towards Martise. In some ways he seemed more real than she did. Learning about his history and parentage was interesting to me and I really identified with how much he cared for his orange grove and his long time servant Gurn, as well as how protective he became of Martise and her gift.

It was very intriguing and I will definitely end up reading this again. It is well worth the $2.99. Seriously, go check it out.

Master of Crows on Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/78927#longdescr

Other Readings:

I'm slowly but surely making more progress with the other books I mentioned last time. Every time I go to the store I find more books that sound really interesting but I tell myself that I can't afford it and that I already have a number of books I still need to read. It's a struggle, but at least you guys know that I won't be running out of reading material any time soon. I'll see you guys again on Tuesday for my next writing update, where I will be detailing the first week of NaNoWriMo.

No comments:

Post a Comment