Sunday, November 11, 2012

Not So Unwelcome Distractions

Okay, I admit it, for a few days I was so stressed out over work that I came home and could not even think of working on Souls Abandoned. If I had then it was likely that I would have killed off everybody, because that is how frustrated work made me. Considering a number of my characters are ghosts already, that probably wouldn't have worked too well. So, anyway, I took a few days of not writing, but I continued to think about what I wanted to write.

On Saturday I was scheduled to work for 9 hours to do a job that usually takes me about 7.5 hours. Well, I figured I would take advantage of that and use my note app on my phone to get at least a few hundred words written. When all was said and done I managed to write just over 2,000 words while at work, but 1,700 of those words were on the sequel to my first novel written for NaNoWriMo. The titles of that trilogy basically sucked so right now I'm just calling it the Amaranth trilogy and if I work on any of the books then they are saved under Amaranth 1, Amaranth 2, and Amaranth 3. That first NaNovel started out with my main character Lexa having a dream, and while I was working the opening dream for Amaranth 2 burst into the front of my mind and I could not avoid it.

Of course, writing all that on the beginning of Amaranth 2 just made me start thinking and lately it seems like stories I've pushed aside are fighting their way back to the front, wanting to be written and finished. These "newer" story ideas, the ones I have not done much more than a very basic outline for, are ones that in all honesty could be set aside for a later time. So, really, my writing schedule I made a couple months back for 2013 may have to change completely so I can accommodate some of my very persistent and sometimes rude characters.

Now, I still plan on working on the rest of the Project Death series. I want to have those rough drafts done next year definitely. Then, it would be nice to finish the rough drafts of the Souls trilogy and I would love to be able to finish the Amaranth trilogy. Here's the cool part about all of these: both the Project Death series and the Souls trilogy were started when I was in high school and if I remember correctly I set Souls Abandoned aside back then because of the idea for Project Death: Resurrection. So, that was back in 2005-6. Now, towards the end of 2012 both of these stories are screaming for completion. A six-year semi-hiatus is not nice for the characters but putting them aside has made me grow, mature, and gain perspective on the stories.

So, in 2013, with any luck I will be able work on and finish some of these stories...and that includes actually coming up with titles for the Amaranth trilogy.

Souls Abandoned
Current word count: 24,965
At this rate you will finish on: Nov 20, 2012

2 comments:

  1. Here's what I hear in all this: You are writing.

    And that is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...yes, that is true. It also means that once again I am "cheating" for NaNo. But since it is a novel I had not started previously, I am totally counting it. :)

    ReplyDelete