Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Off to a Great Start

I didn't do any writing yesterday and this morning I got up, did laundry, went out to vote, and then spent time with my mom before I went to work. So here I am, at 11:00 pm and my word count for today stands at zero. I will fix this...just as soon as I write up this quick post. Though during NaNoWriMo, most people would be all panicked about not writing for a couple days, this year I find myself feeling remarkably calm. Perhaps that is because of how far "ahead" I am so far. Right now I stand at just over 20,000 words. For proof, I offer up this picture of my NaNo stats page:


Total words written: 20,063
Days remaining: 25
At this rate you will finish on: November 14, 2012

I am putting most of my success on the fact that I have been living with these characters for so long. I know them; they are good friends of mine, which to non-writers may sound crazy, but it's true. Though I say characters, they do not feel like made up to me. These people come to me fully formed and ask me to tell their story, but of course sometimes they aren't very forthcoming on certain aspects of their history or their secrets. That might be one reason why I never continued writing this trilogy six years ago.

We have all grown, these characters and I. Now we are in a much better place to tell this story, and for that, I am pleased. Six years ago, Tru was more immature and in truth she sort of annoyed me. Originally I planned to kill her off in book two (I will say that was me making a decision and not them at that point), but after all this time, Tru and Shane and Ava and Lara and Chay have come forward to finally give me the details of this situation, all the ordeals they have been through with the spirit world in Souls Abandoned.

So far, things are going quite well, and my plan is, if for some reason I am able to get through the rough draft of Souls Abandoned before the month is over, I'm going to at least start working on Souls Crossing. Though most months it has taken nearly the whole 30 days to hit the 50K mark, this year I am shooting for writing the entire month. I know I can hit the 50K goal for NaNoWriMo, but now I want to see how far past that goal I can get.

That's all for now. I need to go add some more words to my total word count. I'll be back on Friday for my next From the Stacks post. Thanks for joining in.

Oh, and for the Wrimos who are keeping track, or those who have not checked, to stay on target with 1,667 words a day, you should be at 10,000 words by the end of today, day 6 of the month. Keep up the writing everyone. You can meet your goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment