Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Camp NaNoWriMo June Session - Moving On

Well, I think I know when it is time to admit that I will not be able to complete my 50,000 words in 30 days. Trying to work on a story that centers around Death and the Angel of Death becomes next to impossible when someone you love very much is in the hospital and is rather ill. My grandma was taken to the hospital on June 2nd and she really has not gotten much better.

They have run a number of tests and such on her, and the have also done a number of operations. Just a couple days ago they took her pacemaker out because they believed that the virus she had was on the leads of her pacemaker. The doctor said that all the seeping stopped before he closed her up but then it turns out that it hadn't. So now they have to go in again to repair the damage that they caused. This happened to her before the last time she had to be taken to a hospital around where she lived. Actually, when they put the pacemaker in, the doctor put the leads in the wrong chambers so they had to go back in and fix it all.

Needless to say, after almost a month, we still aren't really closer to getting my grandma out of the hospital. She is 86 years old and with everything she is going through, there is always a degree of risk. My focus this month has been on trying to help my family with bills and other duties around the house since my dad has been living at the hospital with grandma.

Anyway, I have to let my CreateSpace coupon expire (which it will on June 30). The only consolation I can give myself is that I will get another coupon when I win NaNoWriMo in November. So, my new plan is to get back to work on Resurrection probably in September and October so it will be completely finished. Then in December, when I receive my winner goodies, I will be able to use my new CreateSpace coupon to publish Resurrection before the end of 2012, which was one of my goals at the start of the year.

In the meantime, my focus from now until the end of July is plotting out my novel for the August session of Camp NaNoWriMo. I came up with the idea years ago and it was actually going to be my NaNovel back in 2007, but another idea popped up and I ran with that one. I have been going through all the story ideas that I have written down over the years and there are a number of them that I want to sit down and write, and perhaps even finish.

Back in January 2012 I sat down and made a list of all of my stories: completed, in progress, on hiatus, and ideas. The list has 70 stories on it. The sad truth of the matter is that most of the list is comprised of ideas and stories that are on hiatus. This is something that I need to fix. I need to set a schedule for myself so I have time to write every day, and I will spend my time working on one of the stories on the list.

My August Camp Novel is Do Not Drink the Holy Water. Right now I know that it will at least have one sequel, Please No Ritual Sacrifices, but beyond that I don't know if it will be a trilogy or a quartet. I will post up more information on the next session of Camp at a later time. Perhaps during the month of July, I will try to post a few updates on my planning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment