Sunday, June 7, 2015

Musical Writing Inspiration Part Two

Welcome back to another musical inspiration post. If you somehow missed my other Project Death: Revelation lyric inspiration posts, you can find them here and here. I've already discussed the wonderful music of Epica and Kamelot, so today I am shifting focus a bit to Amaranthe. Now all three bands are considered metal bands, but have different sub-genres, and Amaranthe is fun because there's is a bit dance/techno/pop. They're just unique and I thoroughly enjoy them, and so need to get to a concert sometime. Anyway, their newest album is Massive Addictive and it is their best thus far. I enjoyed their previous album, The Nexus, too but this one has more songs I gravitate towards. So let's jump into the lyrics then. As with the previous times I'll give you the lyrics and then talk about their relevance to my Project Death series.

Light the fuse, see the sign
Unbalanced heart
I'm in my prime
Get out of here while there is still time
I'm reaching overload
I'm going right on top
While you abide my dynamite

- "Dynamite" by Amaranthe

The more Thanos thinks on his past, the more he sees how unbalanced everything is, especially with the actual unbalance going on in the present as well, and that makes him feel overwhelmed. Honestly, it's fun to see what happens as he teeters on the edge, and see if he gets pushed towards doing something he has worked so hard to control for so long. You can only fight against the darkness of Death for so long, and Thanos has been struggling with his position for over a hundred years. He really is like a stick of dynamite ready to explode. 

Can't you see I'm a slave to the darkness
Cutting down
And I know I have done this before
As I stare into the wall

And no it's time to let it shine
Cause don't you know I'm addicted

Massive addictive
And suddenly I'm greatly affected
Like burning fire inside
My cyanide
Scared of losing my mind
Massive addictive
I'm totally completely afflicted
As I inspire the lie like a lullaby
Crawling around in my mind

- "Massive Addictive" by Amaranthe

Yesterday I posted about Kamelot's song "My Therapy" and how Tam is Thanos's antidote. Well, you only need an antidote if you are sick in some way, and Thanos is a bit of an addict, just not in the way you would think. This starts being addressed in the first chapter of Revelation (which you can read here if you'd like. Warning there are spoilers if you haven't read Resurrection yet). Speaking of, you can get an e-book of Resurrection for FREE until August 2015 here. As Thanos's story continues, he fights against his addiction as it starts to affect him more and more. It is an issue I already know won't be resolved by the end of the book, especially since I plan on writing a couple short stories revolving around that particular plot point.

Before the darkness gets me I will spread my wings and fly
I transcend from the chaos and the darkness turns to light

This is the time
For chasing my desires
What's in my heart is true
And if my dreams set everything on fire
Then I would still belong to you

I never doubt the feelings that I had
Could bring me through
And every teardrop leaving me
Was leaving me for you

If all my instincts screamed to me
And tried to guide me through
Would I long for an eternity
Or just come back to you

- "True" by Amaranthe

So much of the first book and then continuing on in this second one seems to be pulling Thanos and Tam apart, and for Thanos particularly he has to take the time to sort out his thoughts and feelings and realize that this is exactly the time that he needs to fight for what he wants. Or else he could potentially lose it all. He knows that his position as Death is one without end and so he has to figure out what eternity means if he doesn't have a companion to keep him from losing himself.

You can try to defeat me, you won't win
You won't beat me on the field
My fortitude beyond unreal
If you dare interfere me
Slow me down or impede me
My vengeance will be so unreal

- "Unreal" by Amaranthe

Thanos can be pretty scary. I mean, come on, he is Death, and he can stop the Resurrectors without even trying. Do we even remember how many of them he killed in the first book? Answer: quite a few. I think even I sometimes forget that because he just seems so uptight and proper most of the time. Several times during the course of writing Revelation, I have seen sparks of the rage dwelling deep inside Thanos, and hints of what it could be like if something happened and he sought justice or vengeance for it. I don't think it would be pretty. Honestly, it does not seem like a good idea to do something to tick off Death, just saying.

Danger
It's dangerous
I am out of control
Will I ever return
And it burns
Til I open my eyes
Danger - Dangerous

I fear what I'd become
I see the danger in
Falling back to giving everything
All away, I've fought it back now
Always on the run
Living in a danger zone
I am alone, I am invisible
To the forces of duality
All I want is what I can't get now
Gotta get up and gotta get away now

- "Danger Zone" by Amaranthe

Thanos stands on the edge of control, so close to just plummeting off the cliff and going on a rampage of destruction. Because of that he has spent so much time pushing people away from him, but now he has Tam, and he has become friendly with the Reapers, and so that makes him feel like even more of a danger, because there are people who could be harmed due to his actions. And of course, being Death, he is working to maintain Balance, working for the duality of life and death. He is constantly trying to see the big picture, which is difficult because he is only Death. It is really Fate who sees everything. I don't know. It might be fun to write an alternate version of events from Revelation, just to see what it would be like if Thanos truly exploded. Hmm...maybe someday.

With unlimited options
It has just begun
I've done things that you won't
I wish I'd never done
As I look through the eyes of
What is my design

You're taken the
Ascendancy

Shaking me, saving me 
In the darkest hour
Fear was a part of me
Growing stronger
Breaking into my soul
Let me see eternity

- "Exhale" by Amaranthe

What I love about Revelation is that it is simultaneously a prequel and a sequel to Resurrection, because there are so many flashbacks to Thanos's transition to Death. It forces him to muse on some events from his past that he is not particularly fond of, and even worse, he has now been ordered to tell Tam everything, which means he has to tell her all the awful things he has done. Thanos fears that telling her all of this will make her leave, and while he wouldn't blame her, he doesn't want to be alone. Despite everything he hopes that she will break him out of this fear and darkness swirling deep within him.

Really though, it is all of Thanos's inner turmoil and his reluctance to disclose all the details of his past that has made writing this book take as long as it has. In the end, it will all be worth it, and I feel pretty certain that the book will be so much better than my first, but I have to reach "the end" first. It is coming, and trust me, I will be shouting it on all of my social media platforms when that happens.

So there you go...a peek into my writing process, in particular, the music behind the writing. If you guys enjoy these, let me know, and I'll try to continue with these posts in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment