Wednesday, June 3, 2015

May Book Haul

Well, hello there. I guess I'm starting the month of June off by showing you my book haul from the month of May. For the remainder of the month I'll be talking Camp NaNoWriMo prep for my complete rewrite of my book Souls Unknowing. More on that next week though.

First up, we have the hardcovers.



I have loved every book I have read by Sarah J Maas, and A Court of Thorns and Roses is no exception. I'll have the review up on Friday, but I just have to say that it was well worth the price to own this amazing book in hardcover. So good. It's fae meets the classic tale of Beauty and the Beast.



Julie Kagawa is another one of those authors whose books I tend to devour, which is probably why I waited so long to get into Talon. But now Rogue is out too, so at least I can read both of them in quick succession. It'll be interesting to see how the story develops as we learn more about the dragons and everything going on between Talon and the Order of St. George. I'm already waiting the release of the third book, Soldier.

Okay, and now for the paperbacks:



Citadel of the Sky by Chrysoula Tzavelas. I think I actually bought this back in March, but it was through a Kickstarter campaign, so I had to wait for the formatting and such to be finished before I received my copy. I was introduced to the campaign by an author I love, C.E. Murphy, so since she gushed about the book, I decided to give it a try. Come on, the royal family has magic, but it makes them go mad, so they all have protectors called Regents to try to help with the madness. Then when Regents keep dying, Princess Tiana decides to investigate. Along the way she makes a pact with a telepathic demon who is possessing a magical sword. That just sounds interesting.



Shattered by Kevin Hearne. This is the seventh book in the Iron Druid Chronicles, and I have to say that I just love Atticus's voice in these books. Kevin Hearne brings an amazing amount of depth and humor to these stories of a badass Druid. This is an auto-buy to me, even though I had to wait so long for the paperback release. This was the first book to get a hardcover release and I have to have matching sets, which meant waiting.




The Fire Seer by Amy Raby. I have read Amy Raby's Hearts and Thrones series and have thoroughly enjoyed them. I've heard mixed reviews on this book, but I'm willing to give it a shot since I've loved her other books. The second one in the series is out too, so if all goes well then I'll have another book to buy.




Ice Kissed by Amanda Hocking. The only Amanda Hocking books I don't own so far are the Watersong series, which I have on my to-buy list and I'll get around to them eventually, but at least I can say that I've read them. Her books are such easy quick reads for me that it makes it nice when I need something relatively light and simple. Not that these books are completely simple, but compared to some books I read (Song of Ice and Fire books, Sword of Truth books, Wheel of Time books), these seem a lot less complex. They're still amazing though.




Grave Phantoms by Jenn Bennett. Come on now, that cover is gorgeous, and I love Jenn Bennett's books. Plus, as I've stated before, these take place in the 1920s, and they include stuff like ghosts and visions. And naturally, good romance.




The Shattered Court by M.J. Scott. The review for this book is coming on Friday, so I won't say too much about it right here, but I thoroughly enjoyed M.J. Scott's Half-Light City books because of the interesting world-building and wonderful character relationships. This book seems to set up the series nicely, and I'm very much looking forward to the next one.




Time's Edge by Rysa Walker. I waited quite a while before I got a copy of Timebound to read, but man was it good. Now I have to know what happens next, so I'm delving into this book fairly soon.




Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy. Every now and again I just like to pick up a classic that I haven't read. Even though I have a degree in English Literature and I took more Brit Lit classes than anything else, there are a lot of great novels I was never assigned to read. It is a lengthy process to get through them all, but it is always helpful when a movie adaptation comes around. I don't like to see adaptations without reading the book first, ergo, I have purchased the book. See how easy that is. Yep, so simple.

And finally, the e-books:

Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld
Claimed by Sarah Fine
First World by Jaymin Eve
Courtlight Boxed Set (Books 1,2, and 3) by Terah Edun
No One's Surrender by Kelly Walker

Basically all of the e-books were on sale for really cheap ($1.99) or for free, so that made them easy choices. I've been wanting to read Afterworlds because it is related to NaNoWriMo which is cool. Sarah Fine is an interesting author, but I have to stray out into Kindle territory to read her most of the time; thankfully this first book in a new series was free so Kindle format it is. First World was free as well, and is a sci-fi book, something I typically read occasionally so why not try it? I already had the first book of the Courtlight series downloaded from a couple years ago, but since I got the first three for free, I guess it's worth having two copies of the same book on my NOOK. And No One's Surrender is the third book of Kelly Walker's Chadwell Hearts series. This one follows Chelsea, and boy is she a pistol. I reviewed the book at the very beginning of the year, so it's about time that I bought my own copy.

Well that's it for May's books. The other three weeks this month I will be talking about my preparations for writing Souls Unknowing during the July session of Camp NaNoWriMo, my thought process for completely rewriting a draft, and what it's like to re-plot a book to make the plot develop better and to get deeper into the characters. Then in July I'll be keeping you updated on my Camp NaNo progress. It's going to be a fun couple of months. Now, because of the focus on writing, I may or may not fall behind on my book reviews. Don't worry; I will make up for them, especially since I have a schedule figured out for book reviews until August. The reviews may be a bit late, but they will eventually be posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment