Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Camp NaNo July 2015: Souls Unknowing Replotting

Wow guys and gals...just one more week until the start of Camp NaNoWriMo July session. I am really excited for it and I think I'm going to get off to a decent start. My work has already scheduled off days for July 2nd and 3rd, and obviously the 4th and 5th are the weekend, but there are rumors that we might get the 1st and 6th off as well, which would be amazing, and I would definitely try to write as many words as possible during that time.

In the week of June I have remaining though, I am spending most of my time reading books to recharge my creative energies, as well as to hopefully get my book review posts ready for July. We'll see how well that goes.

But you aren't here to listen to me ramble about reading or vague plans, at least today you aren't. No, today the topic is on my replotting efforts for Souls Unknowing. Now, I wish I could say that I've spent quite a lot of time following through on the topic and writing down all of my random ideas, but the truth is that sometimes that isn't really my style. I've learned over the years that if I write down all my plot ideas then somehow my brain likes to think "but you've written that already" and then it is really difficult for me to actually write the scenes or chapters.

So, what I do instead is to just think on what I need to do and have a mental list. Yes, I have considered some plot points to change or to enhance in this rewrite, mostly because some of the plot I remember wanting to write about and then somehow I just didn't write down the scenes. For example, main character Tru spends quite a bit of time with her history teacher, Mr. Malone, and I remember wanting to actually write more scenes and conversations between them, but then I got distracted by my main plot about the ghosts and everything else sort of faded into the background. I hope to fix that issue this time around.

I also need to work on expanding on some of the characters, like fellow mediators Megan and Allie, as well as Tru's friends Tammi and Tess. These characters have lived in my mind for the past decade and I know them quite well, but I think back when I started writing this book I didn't know that much about them, and what I did know I didn't know how to express properly.

There is one really awesome scene involving Tru, Ian, and Ava that I am definitely keeping. It was one of the best moments and twists in the whole story, mostly because it started out as being completely unplanned, but after it happened I realized how much more interesting it made the book. Those of you who read SU back in high school know what I'm talking about, but please do not talk about it. I'd like to avoid spoilers if possible.

For the most part I am following the loose outline of the original draft for this story, but I always give myself room for new scenes or relationships or conversations. I like to let the characters dictate the events of the story, and considering how much everyone has developed since those early days (including me and my writing ability), I know there will probably be changes along the way.

I hope that my early readers will enjoy this new adaptation of the story. I have been thinking about how to improve the story for so long now that it will be really nice to actually follow through.

Okay, so next week I will have my June Book Haul post up on Wednesday, but I might also have a first day of Camp recap bonus post. It all depends on how many words I get on the page. Let's get ready to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment