Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Camp NaNoWriMo April 2015: Mid-Month Music Inspiration

With some stories I have very specific playlists, ones that will jump around in different genres and/or different artists, depending on what is needed for the scene or chapter. I believe I have written some posts on the topic of writing music before--Project Death circa 2012, and Souls Unknowing playlist--, but today I want to talk specifically about the music of my Project Death series, and even more so on the music that helped me when finishing Project Death: Revelation.

All right, well the post linked above with the old playlist for Project Death still mostly works, and since my iTunes has upgraded a few times and lost my saved playlists, I'm glad to have this, but obviously new inspirational writing songs (for me) have been released the past few years. When I was in the final stages of editing Project Death: Resurrection I listened to the Kamelot album Silverthorn on repeat, and the beautiful, haunting, and dark music really helped me channel what I needed to be focusing on at that time, as well as helping me think on what could happen in the future.

While finishing up the second book, Project Death: Revelation, I still listened to that Kamelot album a lot, but I found myself majorly inspired by the new Epica album, The Quantum Enigma.

Have you ever been listening to a song from an album and a certain line or verse will pop out at you, standing out from all the rest as completely relevant to what you are doing? It happens to me all the time, and especially while finishing up Thanos's story. So...I've decided to share some of those special lyrics with you all.

Also, if I can without revealing anything too spoiler-y, I will try to explain why those particular lyrics connected to the story in such a powerful way.

As time goes by I hide the truth
Cannot stand myself with a broken shell
Give me relief
Let me believe between sweet fiction and reality
As time goes by I try to choose
Don't know where to roam in this private hell
Give me relief
Let me believe between sweet fiction and reality

- "The Second Stone" by Epica

When it came to getting through the second book, I had to deal with the issue that the book both took place 100 years earlier, as Thanos transitioned into being Death, and in the present day following the events of the first book. Delving into Thanos's mind and memories showed how for so long he had needed to hide the truth from so many people and how those secrets ate at him. I could tell that all he wanted was to be able to have everything out in the open, so these particular lines spoke to that part of his past so well.

See through the veil

Our perspective on life
Defines everything we reach
Most of us will aim for
All the certainties

Beyond the veil

Our perspective on death
Can manifest in many ways
Some of us stay fearful
Til the end of days

As we believe in what we see
We all assume that this is real

- "Sense Without Sanity - The Impervious Code" by Epica

Obviously, when you are becoming Death, you sometimes muse on the topics of both life and death, and many of the characters in the series spend some serious thought on the topic. Do you play it safe in life? Do you risk everything? Are you scared of dying? Or is it just another adventure? All those thoughts make this song really stand out to me.

Together we'll be strong
To defy all that can't bring us down
United standing strong
You will not fight alone
Don't drown in a sea full of sorrow and pain
United standing strong, here is where you belong

Your angels will whisper
Nothing is what it seems to be
Search with your heart and you'll find the key
You'll see

- "Omen - The Ghoulish Malady" by Epica

Not only do these lyrics speak to the dynamic of Thanos and Tamesis, but also to Thanos and how he still occasionally struggles with the problems associated with being Death. He wants to have Tam at his side, but who he is and what he does makes it all dangerous. I know that I've had people wonder if and how the two will get past the issues keeping them apart, and a lot of that has to do with Thanos really searching for the answers.

A thousand signs declined
That traveled through light
Translate this mystery
That covered my eyes
Accept approaching fear
And courage appears
Death is a certainty
It's growing near

Letting go is fateful

- "Canvas of Life" by Epica

Guys, this is one of my favorite songs on the entire album. I can't really speak to why this is important to the story, but it is highly relevant to the last few chapters. Obviously talking about it further would reveal major spoilers, so I won't ruin it for anyone.

I still listen to The Quantum Enigma while writing the third book in the Project Death series, but I've been doing a lot of listening to the new Nightwish album as well--Endless Forms Most Beautiful. And at the beginning of May, Kamelot will have a new album out, called Haven. I'm guessing Haven will probably have some songs relevant for me finishing book three and working on book four. We'll see. 

Anyway, I guess that's enough on the updates for this week. For those participating in Camp NaNoWriMo, we are at the halfway point of the month, so hopefully you aren't too far behind. If you are (like me) then we can catch up together. If you're ahead...well, go you! That's exciting. Let's all get cracking in the second half of the month. We can achieve our writing goals. I know we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment