Friday, April 3, 2015

March Book Haul

I know. I know. Technically today is supposed to be a book review post, but I've slowed down on the reading a bit in order to get ready for Camp NaNoWriMo. Plus, since I've spent the past couple months having a post about the books I've purchased during the month, it's about time I share my March Book Haul anyway.

Compared to last month's book haul, this will seem a bit small. I only purchased eleven books, three of which were paperback. I guess we should jump right into the list and then we can go about our regularly scheduled Fridays, right?

First up, the paperbacks:


So, I finally got around to reading some Jim Butcher, namely the first of The Dresden Files series, and I really enjoy Dresden's voice. It makes the story pretty fun to read. About 2/3rds of the way through the first book, I decided that I wanted to keep reading, which meant buying book two: Fool Moon and book three: Grave Peril. A wizard living in Chicago, and helping the police solve crimes. Yep, sounds like the kind of thing I like to read...and watch. (Also, the show is fun too, but I can see how it differs from the books. I'll just enjoy them separately without trying to compare/contrast).




Shadow Study by Maria V. Snyder was one of my most anticipated books from the first part of the year, and I'm so glad to have it with the rest of the Chronicles of Ixia (the three Study books, then the three Glass books, and now the start to the Soulfinders books). Anyway, I have to wait to read this because I'm still struggling to get through the Glass books, but I will get back to you Yelena and Valek, I promise. Opal Cowan isn't as interesting a narrator as Yelena so the Glass books are not my favorites--in fact, I've still only managed to get through the first.

That's it for the paperbacks. As usual, it's now time to list off all my e-book purchases.

- A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan
- Endless Knight by Kresley Cole
- Colorworld by Rachel Kelly
- Teleworld by Rachel Kelly
- iZombie, Vol. 1 by Chris Roberson
- Beyond the Veil by Pippa DaCosta
- The Rest Falls Away by Colleen Gleason
- The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox

I love it when a book on my to-read list pops up as being on sale for my NOOK. That was the case with Marie Brennan's A Natural History of Dragons. Plus, I love reading about dragons so it should be pretty good. I thought that Kresley Cole's Poison Princess was pretty decent, and so I'm curious to see what's next for Evie and the other Arcana characters in Endless Knight. Again, I think this one was on sale so that's great. Next up is Colorworld and Teleworld by Rachel Kelly, and yes guys, I do already own these as signed paperbacks, but I enjoy them so much that I always want to have them on hand in case of a re-read. Plus it helps to support an author who is self-published, which I love doing. Most of the time I don't read a lot of comics or graphic novels, and I typically avoid zombies, but before I watched the pilot of iZombie, I really wanted to have an idea of what it would be about, so I picked up the first volume. Guess what? This is one of the few times I prefer a show or movie to the source material. The last three on my list all sound decently interesting, and I downloaded Beyond the Veil, The Rest Falls Away, and The Accidental Demon Slayer for free, which means that even if I don't really enjoy them, at least I'm not out anything. But if I do enjoy them, then the authors have several more books I will be able to buy. This is why having the first book for free can be quite helpful to attract new readers.

That does it for my March Book Haul blog post. I'll have more book review posts up in April, as well as Camp NaNoWriMo update posts. Thanks for stopping by everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment