Monday, December 29, 2014

Top YA Reads of 2014

Hello, hello. Well, with it being the end of the year, it is time for all of those "Best of..." lists to come out. Last year I just did a list of my top 10 reads of the year. This year I tried to compile my list and I quickly realized that I couldn't narrow it down nearly that far. So, I studied the books in my list and realized that I could split it up into Adult, YA, and Series.

Today's post is all about some of the great YA reads I've had the pleasure of reading in 2014. While most of them this time around were published in 2014, that is not always the case and my Top Reads lists are about books I've read in the calendar year. So, without further ado...here we go, in no particular order.

Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen (The Malediction Trilogy, #1)

Debut author Danielle Jensen has already earned a place on my auto-buy list. I am desperately awaiting the release of this book's sequel because I have to know what is going to happen to Cecile and Tristan. Also, I need more awesomeness with Vincent and Victoria because they are just made of awesome. I loved the whole romance and learning about the trolls, and being pulled into this rebellion against the old ways that treat half-bloods as basically lesser citizens and servants. It was a wild and intense ride and will definitely be a book to re-read while waiting for the sequel. Hidden Huntress, (The Malediction Trilogy, #2), is scheduled for release in June 2015.

The Adventures of Jillian Spectre by Nic Tatano (Jillian Spectre, #1)

I loved the narration of Jillian Spectre. She has a humorous and conversational voice. This book was yet another one I found via NetGalley, and while in the early stages I wasn't sure what kind of book this would really be or if I would enjoy it, the characters and the story soon grabbed me tight and dragged me along for the ride. In fact, my status updates on Goodreads was naming this as a favorite book way back in March. I was so flabbergasted after reading it that my mind couldn't even formulate a coherent review. I suppose that means a re-read is in order. And since the second book was supposed to be out in 2014 as well but isn't, perhaps I have time to read it again.

Secret by Brigid Kemmerer (Elemental, #4)

Brigid Kemmerer released two books in the Elemental series in 2014, Secret and the final book Sacrifice. While I enjoyed both, this book following air elemental Nick was my favorite, which really says something because the final book followed my favorite Merrick brother, Michael. The last 20% of this book was so high speed and psychotically intense. There was even a moment where something happened to Nick right in front of Adam and Quinn and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I absolutely adore the Merrick brothers and following their struggles, and I can honestly see Brigid Kemmerer writing another cycle with an additional book for each Merrick, and then perhaps one with Tyler. Until that happens, I will happily pick up any other book by Brigid Kemmerer, because I have loved every one of them.

Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas (Throne of Glass, #3)

This book was absolutely amazing. Sarah Maas just keeps getting better and better. I love Celaena, Chaol, and Dorian as characters, and it is wonderful to see how they grow and change throughout this series. I started out this book not really liking new characters Aedion and Rowan, but boy did those two grow on me. I also really loved Sorscha. There was so much going on in this book, with Celaena in Wendlyn and learning more about her own magic and becoming more accepting of what she is and what she is capable of, and with Dorian learning more about his own magic. Words can't even begin to describe the depth of the characterization and development going on within these pages, and I am sad that I now have to wait for the next book. Considering where each respective character is at the end of this third book, I imagine the fourth is going to be insanely intense. Seriously, another stunning book. I highly recommend this series. Just go read them.

Silver Shadows by Richelle Mead (Bloodlines, #5)

Richelle Mead is made of awesome. And boy does she deliver with the Bloodlines series. I am so completely addicted to the amazingness that is Sydney and Adrian. This book had so many high and low points, tense moments, romantic ones, funny moments, and ones that were shocking. The cliffhanger ending definitely leads to the promise of a very intense final book. And I won't spoil it in case there are people who haven't yet read this amazing series, but there is one stunningly amazing moment that made me super happy for Sydney and Adrian. If you haven't read the Vampire Academy or Bloodlines series, then you are missing out. Do yourself a favor and get reading. The final book in the Bloodlines series, The Ruby Circle, is out February 10, 2015.

Such Sweet Sorrow by Jenny Trout

Most of the reads on this list received a 5/5 rating from me. This book received a 4/5, but it is still such a great book. I found this book on NetGalley and the concept of combining Romeo & Juliet and Hamlet was an intriguing one. Basically, Juliet does indeed die but Romeo survives the poison and is left in exile. Then he learns of a place to the north where he could find a way to bring Juliet back. This place, is unsurprisingly, the home of Hamlet. You discover that Hamlet's father had been warning him not just about his uncle, but also trying to get Hamlet to protect a door that led to the spirit world. The first 70% of the book was just okay, but the last 30% more than made up for it. My issue with R&J had always been that I found Romeo to be whiny and impulsive, which he is, but at the end of the book he grows and develops into a much stronger character. Honestly the best character in the book was Juliet. She had so much strength to her. I also loved that this book incorporated Norse mythology. I could see a sequel coming out of this book, potentially. I'd like to see how Romeo and Juliet's star-crossed love continues.

The Diviners by Libba Bray (The Diviners, #1)

This book had such a complex story and the characters were intriguing. You can tell that a lot of research was needed to pull of this book, and it is done quite well. The descriptions of settings and details was enough that it was relatively easy to picture what was going on. Also, I really wish that the Museum of the Creepy Crawlies was real. I would love to visit it. Much like my comments yesterday about Bitter Spirits by Jenn Bennett, this lovely story is set during the time of Prohibition, which is an instant attention grabber for me. My only issue is with the constant pushing back for the release date for the second book. It went from summer 2014 to 2015. Currently Goodreads has Lair of Dreams scheduled for April 2015 but I'll believe it when I see it. Hopefully it's true because I need to know what happens with Evie and the gang.

----

Thanks for stopping by and reading about some of my favorite YA reads for 2014. The next post will cover my Top Series Reads for 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment