Sunday, December 28, 2014

Top Reads of 2014

First, I'd like to preface by saying that this first list does not contain any YA reads. I had so many books that I really enjoyed this year that I have split my Top Reads list into three parts: Adult, YA, and Series.

Also, these books are not in any particular order...as in, I don't go from least favorite to most favorite or vice versa. These are all just awesome books that I read in 2014, not just books published in 2014.

Dirty Magic by Jaye Wells (Prospero's War #1)

This book was a NetGalley discovery for me. I had read Jaye Well's first Sabina Kane book and enjoyed it, plus the whole concept of this book sounded really interesting. And I definitely can say that it was an awesome read. There is this difference between clean magic and dirty magic and so much was going on in this fictional city that I was drawn into the world and didn't want to stop reading until I reached the final page. Plus, I'm a sucker for a good book that takes place in Ohio, which this lovely novel did. All of the characters were well developed and some of them have rather complicated relationships, which makes the reading more enjoyable because they feel so real. I really need to buy Cursed Moon (Prospero's War #2) and read it before the final book, Deadly Spells is released in February 2015.

Bitter Spirits by Jenn Bennett (Roaring Twenties #1)

After reading the first Arcadia Bell novel by Jenn Bennett, I happened to see on Goodreads that she was getting ready to release a series set during Prohibition. Well, I've always loved a good 1920s story. This one does not disappoint. It was a quick read for me, thanks to a decent pace, and a couple of main characters who were attracted to each other from the beginning. What was also interesting and well done was that the magic and ghosts mostly took a back seat in this story, which at times made the book seem more historical romance than paranormal. Still, I ab-so-lute-ly loved it. This book solidified my decision to add Jenn Bennett to my auto-buy list, which is why Roaring Twenties #2, Grim Shadows, is waiting on my bookshelf ready to be read. I need to do that before Grave Phantoms is released in May 2015.

The Immortal Crown by Richelle Mead (Age of X #2)

I love Richelle Mead, so it's no surprise that she once again finds her way to a Top Reads list. Her Age of X series is set in the future and features a returning of the old gods (including some standard favorites such as Loki, Odin, and Morgan le Fay). Anyway, in this second book of the series everything becomes so much more intense. The development of the plot and the characters is just outstanding. This game of the gods is getting crazier and Justin and Mae are pulled into it much farther than they were in the first book. We had more gods show up and with the way this second book ended, I can tell that it will be a long tortuous wait for book #3, which still does not have a title or a release date.

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick

I love Pride & Prejudice, and I was amazed by the modern retelling in the YouTube series "The Lizzie Bennet Diaries." So, when I learned there was this secret diary that was a companion for the show, I knew I had to read it. And let me tell you, it definitely gave more insight into some of the characters and some of the events of the series. Mr. and Mrs. Bennet had more interactions via this diary than in the show, and even better the diary had a couple entries from after the show ended. I was glad to hear how Lydia turned out after the events of LBD, and I can definitely say that this book will be re-read over and over, just like I can say that I will re-watch the web series over and over.

Prince's Fire by Amy Raby (Hearts and Thrones #3)

This series has been an absolute pleasure to read and I look forward to several more in the future. I can also say that while I loved the first two books, this one may be my favorite. The relationship that developed between Celeste and Rayn was different from the other couples and several of their conversations made me chuckle. As Celeste started to fall for Rayn, it was clear in how much more interest she took in not just him, but his country. Together they make an amazing couple, as well as a strong King and Queen. It is also really cool to get to expand the universe of this series more, this time visiting the island country of Inya.

Betrayal in the Highlands by Robert Evert (Riddle in Stone #2)

Oh Edmund, how I adore reading your adventures. He has dealt with a lot by the time this second book starts and we already know that he will not have an easy journey ahead of him. But things may be looking up in a couple areas. While he lost his beloved dog Thorax in the first book, in book two he has adorable puppy Becky, who while not as awesome as Thorax, does grow on you by the end of the book. The best addition to the cast has to be Abby. I loved her so much that her appearance made the book so much better. She will make a fine partner for Edmund, providing he can stop moping about Molly and see that Abby can certainly take care of herself. And as always, at Edmund's side, is the lovable Pond Scum. (If you haven't read the first book then you won't understand why that's his name). He is a loyal friend and a great guy. I have the third book on my NOOK but haven't read it yet. I don't know if I'm ready to say goodbye to these characters just yet.

Attack the Geek by Michael R. Underwood (Ree Reyes #2.5)

The final entry on this list of Top Reads is not a full-length novel, but is instead a side quest novella. I absolutely adore the world created in this series, and I geek out with every single book I read. In this novella, I feel like I'm reading a dungeon raid set-up for a D&D party. The story takes place in and around Grognard's, where heroine Ree Reyes works as a bartender/waitress (basically). Even with the shortened adventure, you still see basically all of the main characters from the series, and it does a nice job of continuing to build and develop those character relationships. It will be really interesting to see what happens when Hexomancy (Ree Reyes #3) comes out in September. Geeky books are my favorite thing ever!

---

Well, that wraps up my list for today. Up next is my Top YA Reads of 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment