Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Top Series Reads of 2014

Welcome back to my blog. Today I will be talking about my favorite series reads of 2014. Now, to qualify for this list I had to read at least three books in the series sometime in the year of 2014. That is why some great books that are parts of series landed on the other lists, because I only read one or two from that series this year.

As always, this list is in no particular order.

Sisters of Fate trilogy (Foretold, Forecast, Foresworn) by Rinda Elliott

All three books of this amazing YA trilogy were published this year and I devoured them almost immediately after they were released. I found the triplet narrators to be amazing, and I marvel at Rinda Elliott's skills as a storyteller because of this trilogy. Seriously, all three books take place at the exact same time, but each focuses on a different sister's journey. Plus, do I really need to mention how obsessive I am when I book focuses on mythology? The Sisters of Fate trilogy features Norse mythology, specifically an amazing take on the events leading up to Ragnarok. I could totally see at least another book, if not another trilogy coming out of this wonderful cast of characters and the concept. If that happens I will definitely squeal with delight.

Pushing the Limits series (Pushing the Limits, Dare You To, Crossing the Line, Crash Into You, Take Me On) by Katie McGarry

I admit it: I don't typically read a lot of contemporary romance-ish fiction. Most of the time I prefer to have some fantasy, paranormal, or sci-fi elements in the tales I read. However, I had seen a lot of great reviews on this series, particularly leading up to the release of Crash Into You. That, plus the fact that the first book had been on sale at the time for only like $1.99, was enough for me to give it a shot. I'm almost ashamed to say that Pushing the Limits sat on my NOOK for about a year before I finally decided to actually read it. Once finished I immediately jumped into the rest of the series. Okay, it's no big secret that I am an Ohioan, and this series is set in Kentucky, so I feel like I understand these teens and the setting a bit better because of it. I've been sucked in completely and I look forward to reading more Katie McGarry books in the future. (Oh, and I think Crash Into You is probably my favorite so far, though they all are so great and realistic and I love the development and changes of these teens as they meet each other, fall in love, and work through their issues together.)

Elemental Assassin series (Spider's Bite, Web of Lies, Venom, Tangled Threads, Spider's Revenge) by Jennifer Estep

I own almost every single Jennifer Estep book now. I started with the Mythos Academy series, and enjoyed them, and the concept of the Elemental Assassin series intrigued me enough to get the first book...which turned into the first four...and now the first ten...only two more until I own all the books currently released. Basically I have been devouring these books one after the other. In hindsight, this series may not be the best for back-to-back reading. I will admit that Gin's narration can be repetitive. She will repeat the same details in basically every single book. I overlook this because I'm sure that most people won't sit down and read the whole series as quickly as possible. After getting past her initial romantic interest, I found myself even more intrigued by the series, and I absolutely adore the depth of the characters and all of the crazy and dangerous problems that always seem to crop up for the semi-retired assassin known as the Spider. Also, I think I'm in love with Owen. He's pretty darn awesome.

Kelly Brothers series (The Sweetest Seduction, Breakaway Hearts, Falling for the Wingman, The Heart's Game, A Seductive Melody) by Crista McHugh

I have been a fan of Crista McHugh's for a couple years now, ever since a Goodreads giveaway won me a signed copy of Tangled Web, and so it was an easy sell to try her new contemporary romance series that is a modern twist on Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. The brothers all have their ups and downs, their issues, and their swoon-worth moments, and it has been wonderful getting to read their adventures as they meet the women who will be their future wives. The brothers all have such different--yet all successful--lives, from businessmen to athletes to musicians, actors, doctors, men of the military...there is something for everyone in this series, and I am very curious what will happen with the final two books, which will be released in 2015. My favorite books (and brothers) of the series thus far are (in order): The Heart's Game (Dan--he's a geek and a doctor), Falling for the Wingman (Caleb--a military pilot), and A Seductive Melody (Ethan--a musician). But they are all amazing and well worth a read.

MetaWars (Changeling, Tempest, Chimera) by Kelly Meding

I think I read the first book of the series, Trance, last year, and I knew I needed to read the rest so I did that towards the beginning of the year. Boy, I was not disappointed by these wonderful and complex superhero adventures. Each character has dealt with so much, and whether they love their meta abilities or hate them, each finds themselves playing an important role in this series, whether that is keeping the dangerous Banes at bay, or trying to combat the public's image of all Metas being dangerous and needed to be cataloged, locked up, or even eliminated. There are some cute romance stories, some complicated family relationships, and definite struggles to adapt to the return of their abilities and the changing perspectives by others towards their kind. I certainly hope that someday Kelly Meding decides to return to this world because I think there are still more stories to tell, and I would love to read them.

Lords of the Underworld series (The Darkest Night, The Darkest Kiss, The Darkest Pleasure, The Darkest Whisper, The Darkest Passion, The Darkest Lie) by Gena Showalter

To most it's probably no secret that I'm a member of the Vaginal Fantasy Book Club, started by the wonderful Felicia Day. The Darkest Kiss was made a book pick back in...February...I think. Anyway, I'm not a fan of starting a series in the middle, even if it switches couples each book. No matter what there is typically always a reference to earlier books or events. So...I fell deep into the rabbit hole when I started the series and quickly became addicted. I just managed to buy the e-book omnibus of books 7-9 so I'll be delving into them shortly, but dang...can I just say how amazing and sometimes very steamy some of these books/relationships are? Plus, there is a lot of really cool mythology and backstory/character development going on in these books. It has to be so complicated to balance a cast that started with 12 Lords of the Underworld, and some of them have friends and each of them is finding that special someone so there are a lot of people to juggle and Gena Showalter does a magnificent job with them. I'm seriously impressed.

Cold Iron series (Cold Iron, Silver Skin, Stone Song) by D.L. McDermott

This was a random find while browsing either Goodreads or NetGalley. I love books involving Fae. Add steamy romance and hunky warriors into the mix and yep, I can't say no. The mythology is great, because Celtic myths may be my favorite, and the complexity of the Fae characters and the Druid characters just make these a delight to read. Watching the strength of the female characters, especially when partnered with ancient, powerful, and gorgeous Fae warriors/mages is remarkable. Having stories with such intelligent, resourceful, courageous women is always a plus in my book. I'm so excited that there will be another book in this series. Blade Dance is scheduled for release in September 2015 and I will likely get it and read it on the day it is released. I look forward to returning to the wonderful world within these books.

--

Whew...Almost half of the books I've read this year made it onto a Top Reads list. In some ways I guess that's a good thing because it means I've read a lot of awesome books this year. Thanks for taking the time to read these posts. My next post will be a little bit different...it is my Most Anticipated Books of January and February 2015. Why just those two months? Because if I just did Most Anticipated of 2015 it would be at least 30 books long.

No comments:

Post a Comment