Monday, March 11, 2013

From the Stacks: The Water Witch by Juliet Dark

Happy Monday, everyone! Well, today I am reviewing The Water Witch, which is the sequel to The Demon Lover, a book I reviewed last week.The Water Witch went on sale last month, and I was lucky enough to receive a copy from NetGalley.



Summary:

""You have only to call my name to bring me back," he whispered, his breath hot in my ear. "You have only to love me to make me human."

Seduced by a powerful incubus demon, Callie has succeeded in banishing him to the Borderlands but Liam still haunts her dreams, tempting her with the knowledge of how to bring him back.

But loving an incubus usually ends in death for a human. For her own sake, Callie must learn to control her desires and ensure Liam remains trapped for all eternity in his watery prison.

Only there is a more dangerous creature than Liam in the Borderlands. The Water Witch is looking for a way back."

My Thoughts:

So, I'm not gonna lie...I was blown away by The Demon Lover, and I loved the balance between the plot with the Grove and IMP, and Callie's relationship with her incubus...but in The Water Witch, I felt like the relationship basically took a complete back seat, and I desperately wanted more. Yes, I felt that the issues with the Grove and wanting to close the last door to Faerie was a major one and really needed to be dealt with, but it was that Gothic romance vibe I fell in love with in the first book.

The Water Witch was shorter in length than the first book and so I felt like everything need to be compressed into less space. It only took me a couple days to finish the book, and I do want to find out how the story concludes, but to me, I truly felt like I was missing some of the magic from the first book, which seems ironic considering the fact that Callie is learning more about her own magical ability and casting more spells and such in this book.

Speaking of that...Callie learning a whole bunch of history of magic and so so many spells seemed incredibly too easy. I get that these books are magical in and of themselves, but to pseudo-skim through hundreds of pages and the information is basically magically downloaded into Callie's brain...to me, it just felt like an easy way to move past her training.

The saving grace to this book was "human handyman" Bill. Come on, Callie, how could you not figure out who he was? It seemed quite obvious to me, but you were too busy pining over Liam being stuck in Faerie. Sorry, guys, I don't want to spoil it for you, but sometimes it really bugs me when we have an intelligent protagonist, who is ignorant when it comes to matters that are plainly obvious to the reader, and sometimes to the other characters.

Still, I enjoyed the read nevertheless, and look forward to reading the third book. The Water Witch gets a 4/5 from me.

The Water Witch at Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-water-witch-juliet-dark/1110620826?ean=9780345524249

The Water Witch at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Water-Witch-Fairwick-Trilogy/dp/0345524241/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362517589&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Water+Witch

Other Readings:

I'm halfway finished with Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor, which is the main pick this month for Vaginal Fantasy (despite being a YA book and not really having the same heat level for the romantic plotline as I'm used to) and I'm getting into Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione (the alt. pick for Vaginal Fantasy, which I've been told more than makes up for the main pick).

No comments:

Post a Comment