Monday, March 25, 2013

From the Stacks: Embers in a Dark Frost by Kelly Keaton

I read this...last month, I think. It was an interesting book, and my only big issue with it was sometimes weird formatting in my e-book, which is not really the author's fault so that won't factor into my review. Well...actually in the case of this being a self-pubbed book, I guess it is the author's fault, but I still won't factor that into my review, because it happens sometimes.



Summary:

"The Fire Breathers have come. The Underworld calls. A choice must be made…

With her feared half blood and flame-colored hair, DEIRA D'ANU is a constant reminder of human betrayal and the war that claimed the light from Innis Fail. Now, darkness and frost creep across the land, strengthening the Lord of the Underworld. War is imminent—an allegiance with the Fire Breathers is vital. When their champion, Balen, sees Deira, he believes she is the key to finding the light and stopping the dark frost.... 

But the Underworld calls to Deira, tempting her to turn her back on a world that never cared and betray the champion willing to sacrifice everything to keep her safe and save his world from darkness."

My Thoughts:

Okay, I'm not going to lie...when I went online to get the links for where to purchase the book below, I discovered that a new cover had been designed...same basic picture and background, but they changed the font for the title and moved the author's name from the top to the bottom. I like the new version better, really. Oh well.

Overall I thought this book was a pretty decent story for just $0.99. I enjoyed the setting and for the most part I really liked both Deira and Balen, but...and I can't exactly place my finger on what exactly bothered me...something was missing from the story. Yes, when I reached the end, I admit to being curious as to what will happen in the sequel. Maybe the relationship between Deira and Balen could have had more to it. Now, as I'm sitting here, I'm struggling to remember most of the story, but I do remember finishing it with a sense of "oh, is that all?"

I like fantasy settings; I like stories with elves and magic. This one even had portions of romance and even a bit of a mystery. Perhaps I'll just have to pick up this book and read it again...most likely right before the sequel is released. Doing a little browsing through other reviews, it seems that this is the first of a duology, and others are saying that the next book should be out this year. For now though, my review stands at 3/5. Embers in a Dark Frost was good. It just didn't wow me.

Embers in a Dark Frost at Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/embers-in-a-dark-frost-kelly-keaton/1113774766?ean=2940015831795

Embers in a Dark Frost at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Embers-Dark-Frost-Fire-ebook/dp/B00A4JG8Z8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363302925&sr=8-1&keywords=Embers+in+a+Dark+Frost

Other Readings:

Tomorrow I'll have a Bonus From the Stacks up, a NetGalley review of A Touch of Scarlet by Eve Marie Mont. Right now any reading I'm doing is at a leisurely pace...because I am a week away from the first session of Camp NaNoWriMo, so my focus will shift from reading to writing. But don't worry. I've read 60 books so far this year, so I have my reviews typed up and ready to go. You may find through April that I'll just ignore this section of my post...or maybe I'll do a quick update on my writing progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment