Saturday, March 9, 2013

From the Stacks: Breathless by Brigid Kemmerer

Because I really can't help myself, here's an extra bonus From the Stacks post this week. NetGalley approved this novella for me yesterday and I cannot avoid the allure of the Merrick boys so I devoured it. Luckily, you won't have to wait too much longer to get this next dose of the Merricks...Breathless goes on sale April 30th.



Summary:


"Nick Merrick is supposed to be the level-headed one. The peacemaker. Since it’s just him and his three hotheaded brothers against the world, that’s a survival tactic.
But now he’s got problems even his brothers can’t help him survive.
His so-called girlfriend, Quinn, is going quick as mercury from daring to crazy. Meanwhile, Quinn’s dancer friend Adam is throwing Nick off balance, forcing him to recognize a truth he’d rather shove back into the dark.
He can feel it—-the atmosphere is sizzling. Danger is on the way. But whatever happens next, Nick is starting to find out that sometimes nothing you do can keep the peace."

My Thoughts:

I have reviewed this entire series, though my other reviews I included a novella with a book, because it feels odd to me to give a full-length review to a novella due to its length. Take Breathless for example...I think it was 53 pages total, which is maybe 1/4 of the length of one of the books. Still, plenty of stuff happens in that short time and it really makes me very very excited to get the Nick Merrick book in 2014 (I really wish I didn't have to wait that long, but oh well).

Of all the Merrick brothers, Nick is the one who is mostly level-headed (especially when you consider that his twin is Gabriel, who has control over fire), but like all the Merrick brothers, Nick has his issues and his secrets. I am basically dying to have Nick tell his brothers. Yes, I'm sure Gabriel will razz him a little about it, but overall I think they will be very accepting. After all, they are all the family the others have. Okay, so I think the summary basically gives Nick's secret away, but in case you haven't figured it out, I'm not going to spoil it for you here.

I also felt like this novella might have made me appreciate Quinn as a character a little more. I've just seen her as this huge drama queen always getting into arguments with her mom, but after she learns Nick's secret, I really admire how she handles it, and now I actually really want the best for Quinn. I want her to be able to use this dance partnership with Adam to get a scholarship so she can get away from her toxic family.

So, needless to say, Brigid Kemmerer once again gets a 5/5 from me, and I will be anxiously counting down the days until I can read Spirit, the next book in the series, which will follow Hunter. Also, I really have to say, after this novella I don't know which Merrick brother is my favorite...Michael or Nick.

Breathless at Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/breathless-brigid-kemmerer/1114307180?ean=9780758285539

Breathless at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Breathless-Elemental-ebook/dp/B00B1UVSAY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362843351&sr=8-1&keywords=Breathless+Brigid+Kemmerer

Other Readings:

Right now I'm actually listening to the audiobook of Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal, which is narrated by the author, something I find to be awesome. I am also reading The Sweetest Dark by Shana Abe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment