Friday, March 8, 2013

From the Stacks: Magical Redemption by Nicola E. Sheridan

I wanted to review this as soon as I finished reading it on January 14th, but my review schedule had already been planned and I had the other reviews written...so this was the first point where my schedule still needed a review. Anyway, welcome to the amazing third and final book in the Magic series by Nicola E. Sheridan:



Summary:

"'How did a woman as good as you, ever get stuck with a devil like me?'

When Jinx finds herself the Genie of the coldly handsome Lucian, she knows she's in for a rough time.

Lucian is being hunted by the Magical Mafia, otherwise known as the "Family." Years ago, he pledged himself to serve but in a moment of weakness betrayed them. Now, unable to love or live freely, Lucian finds himself falling for Jinx, but knows a future between them is impossible. As they hide from incredible and malevolent magical beings, they search for a way to be together, before fate and the Family separate them forever."


My Thoughts:

I first discovered Nicola Sheridan through an author friend's blog, and since I started reading her books, I have become a huge fangirl. Seriously, I love her books that much, and I quite often suggest that other people read them. Magical Redemption was certainly no exception. Each book in the series focuses on a different couple, but they are all tied together with a few common threads. From Magical Gains to Magical Creations that thread was from Imran to Omar, who happened to be brothers, and then from Magical Creations to Magical Redemption, we have the wonderful character of Lucian, who had a supporting role in the second book, but a lead role in this last one.

By the way, when I say that Lucian is a wonderful character, I mean that he is complex and has to go through quite a journey and evolution, not that he is a wonderful person like a white knight/savior type. Quite the opposite in fact. Lucian is an incubus and he uses his skills to get what he wants or what his employer wants. Anyway, by the time this third book begins, Lucian is in a rough spot after the events at the end of the second book. His only way out of it...is by using Jinx, who is a genie.

Jinx is our first female genie of the series, and she is a complex character as well. She has to be in order to stand up next to Lucian and still be memorable. Her past is troubled and learning more about that earns her a great deal of sympathy. I also really really liked that Jinx was not the stereotypical image of what is sexy. She is described as having a large nose as well as not having gigantic breasts. What's even better about this is that Lucian doesn't care about that. Especially as the story progresses and we see layers pull apart for both of the main characters, it becomes clear that their relationship isn't completely built on physical attraction.

There was a moment about 2/3 of the way in that I hadn't expected, a wallop of a curveball and I applaud Nicola Sheridan for that twist. I think I stopped and gaped at my NOOK screen for a good few minutes. The world was incredibly vivid and helped me really imagine the place, the characters were well rounded, and (Sorry SPOILER) there is a happy ending. I absolutely cannot wait to see what is next for Nicola Sheridan. Magical Redemption is an outstanding 5/5.

Magical Redemption at Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/magical-redemption-nicola-e-sheridan/1113803799?ean=9781615727797

Magical Redemption at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Magical-Redemption-Nicola-E-Sheridan/dp/1615727795/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1358822636&sr=8-4&keywords=Nicola+E+Sheridan

Magical Redemption at Eternal Press: http://www.eternalpress.biz/book.php?isbn=9781615727780

Other Readings:

My review for The Water Witch by Juliet Dark will be up on Monday, and right now I am digging into Elemental: the First by Alexandra May. Of all the NetGalley books I've snagged so far, this is the one I was most on the fence with. The premise sounds interesting enough, so hopefully I'll enjoy it. I'm also kind of in a steampunk mood, so I'll be reading more of Quintessence by David Walton. Oh, and I know I said a week or so ago that I was going to completely devour Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead, but on this one I think I'm going to try and take a page out of one of her character's (Georgina) book, reading only a little at a time...meaning two chapters every time I open it. That way I can make the experience last a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment