Friday, January 11, 2013

From the Stacks: Trance by Kelly Meding

I admit it...I'm a sucker for superhero books (and movies, and TV shows, etc) so this immediately jumped out at me, and now I'm trying to hold myself back from jumping into the second book because I have a stack of other books I need to read.


Summary:

"Kelly Meding's war-ravaged Los Angeles is ground zero for the ultimate Meta human showdown in this sexy, action-packed new series.

Fifteen years ago, Teresa "Trance" West was a skilled telepath and a proud member of the Ranger Corps. But ever since the Rangers were inexplicably rendered powerless at the climax of the devastating Meta War,  she's bounced from one dead-end job to another. Now her powers have reappeared just as mysteriously as they vanished-only they're completely transformed and more potent than ever. And they're threatening to destroy her.

Trance heads to Los Angeles to track down the surviving Rangers and discover who restored her powers-and why-but a phantom enemy is determined to kill them before they can reassemble. As they dodge his deadly attacks and come to terms with their new role as heroes, Trance and the rest of the team set out to annihilate the sinister madman...only to discover their own powers are his greatest weapons."

My Thoughts:

I absorbed this book in only a couple hours and honestly I was mad anytime my family wanted me to do something because it meant I had to put the book down (or my e-reader since I was reading a NOOK book), but I was so entranced by this world and the characters that I couldn't stay away.

The story starts when the main characters are still children, at the end of the Meta War, and shows how terrifying and gruesome things were for them. Then, mysteriously, all of their abilities disappear, and the children are separated, sent to live in various foster homes and such while trying to find a way to adjust to a life without their Meta abilities.

Fast forward fifteen years and Teresa "Trance" West is not having such an easy time of life. She's working three jobs just to try and survive, and then she gets fired from one. She's already having a crappy day and then it feels like she is getting really sick...come to find out, her abilities are back, only they aren't exactly the ones she had long ago. 

Reading this I really got a sense of how dangerous it was for these Meta abilities to be coming back, considering how the people and the government have reacted towards it all. Wildly colored contacts have even been outlawed since Metas and Banes (think of them as dark Metas) typically have strange eye colors, Trance included since hers are purple. And when Trance ran into Gage aka "Cipher"... MmmmMmmm....yep, I knew something would probably happen there. I am not ashamed to say that I can't wait to see more.

But I wouldn't call this some happy romance type novel. No, not at all. There is a lot of destruction and death and turmoil. Every time someone from the Rangers is hurt or killed, Teresa feels completely responsible for it and it rips her apart. These people were her friends and her family when she was a child, back before they all were separated and had to act like humans. 

The emotions are entirely real and I know I connected with Trance and Cipher and Onyx and Flex and Tempest and even with Ember (who I believe is the narrator of the second book). I absolutely loved this book, and I can't wait to read the next one, Changeling. Seriously, Trance obviously gets a 5/5 from me.

Trance at Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/trance-kelly-meding/1101900429?ean=9781451620924

Trance at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Trance-Kelly-Meding/dp/1451620926/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357572737&sr=8-1&keywords=Trance+Kelly+Meding

Other Readings:

I was sucked into Old Man's War by John Scalzi and seriously might have to do a bonus From the Stacks for it sometime at the end of the month. I've been doing a lot of reading the past week or so, and I'm looking forward to reading a lot more, but it may have to slow down as I continue with job hunting. I left my job at the beginning of the year and I desperately need something to pay the bills, but I know I've read enough to keep the From the Stacks posts going for at least the next couple of months. In February I'm even reading a couple books that have movies being released in theaters that month, so that should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment