Friday, January 18, 2013

From the Stacks: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Finally I'm getting around to reading this book. It is another one that I thought about reading every time I saw it in the store and finally caved to buying it when it went on sale for a couple bucks on NOOK.



Summary:

"Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior."

My Thoughts:

This was definitely an interesting read. In the beginning I almost felt that it dragged but that actually only heightens the feeling of being a prisoner trapped in this place and having no real activity to change surroundings or mark the time or anything. I can also say that it is written in an incredibly interesting way, with our almost crazed narrator Juliette crossing out her thoughts and repeating things over and over again and it truly adds to the feeling of insanity that she must feel.

As a reader I thought I was going crazy a couple times, but the book is written in first person so I think the madness works quite well. It worked for Juliette as a narrator but I was bothered when a number would show up as just 3 or 8; I wasn't bothered by 13 or 1,590 or anything like that because we are taught to use numerals for them but to write out numbers less than ten (see?). Juliette doesn't do that and so it always jarred me, but it sort of worked for the novel.

Adam was interesting and I saw just how much he cared about Juliette, how he saw just how good she was, even despite her ability. It was touching. On the other side there was Warner and he basically wanted Juliette as an object, a trophy to show off and use to his advantage, and I really did not like him, which works as he is a member of the people who are the bad guys in all of this.

It was about the halfway point that the story really picked up for me and I devoured the last half in one sitting. Now, after having finished Shatter Me, I can honestly say that I do look forward to reading the second book, Unravel Me, which is due out February 5, 2013. All in all, I give this book a 4.5/5.

Shatter Me at Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/shatter-me-tahereh-mafi/1100394792?ean=9780062085481

Shatter Me at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Shatter-Me-Quality/dp/0062085506/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357600528&sr=8-1&keywords=Shatter+Me

Other Readings:

I picked up Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter, White Cat by Holly Black, and Origin by Jessica Khoury when I was at the library and have added them to my stack of books to be read here soon. Of course, considering the other books I have on schedule for the blog the reviews for these won't happen until June or July. Still, I guess that is something to look forward to. I know I can't wait to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment