Monday, January 28, 2013

From the Stacks: Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

Wow...I am so glad I got this book for myself for Christmas. Okay, not completely true as I used the check my Nana always sends to buy both this book and Libriomancer, but still, I picked them out. I decided to get this book because I had heard great things about it and now I have to impatiently wait for the next book.



Summary:

"In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.

As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed...and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret alliances, and even unforeseen love.

The only outcome that's certain

is that kingdoms will fall.

Who will emerge triumphant

when all they know has collapsed?"

My Thoughts:

A number of people compare this book to Game of Thrones but in a YA setting, and for the most part I have to agree (and not just because both books have a character named Theon). I have a feeling that much like the books I enjoy by the great GRRM, I will have to try to keep myself from growing too fond of characters in this series, because it is bloody.

My feelings towards most of the characters shifted and changed as the book progressed. At first I though of Cleo as being sort of timid but she worked her way past that, fighting to save those she loves. I looked at Aron with absolute disgust through the whole book. I don't like drunkards in real life and I certainly don't like drunk teens in books, television shows, or movies either. I wanted to see the most development from Jonas, and by the end I guess he did give me reason to hope that things just might work out. I started off feeling sorry for Magnus's situation and the feelings he has even though he knows they're wrong, but by the end he really has turned into a miniature version of his father, and that is certainly not a good thing. Lucia is the only one of the main four characters who wields magic and that automatically makes me interested in her, and I thought she handled the truths about who she was...well, maybe she handled them a little too well.

This was certainly an interesting read. I started and finished it on the same day, and I certainly hope that Morgan Rhodes does not make readers wait too awful long for a sequel. 5/5.

Falling Kingdoms at Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/falling-kingdoms-morgan-rhodes/1108930601?ean=9781595145840

Falling Kingdoms at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Falling-Kingdoms-Morgan-Rhodes/dp/1595145842/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358130474&sr=8-1&keywords=Falling+Kingdoms

Other Readings:

On the reading list right now: Tempest by Julie Cross, White Cat by Holly Black, and then diving into Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff. It's strange to think that I'm at the end of January and yet I've almost finished all of my books for review in February. This has definitely been a strange year so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment