Wednesday, October 10, 2012

From the Stacks: Turning Pages

As promised, I'm back again for another From the Stacks review. Continuing on from yesterday's post on Jim C. Hines' Libriomancer, today's pick is also about a librarian. It's also a book I probably wouldn't have known about if it wasn't for Goodreads. I should probably preface this post by saying that I have been slammed with student loan bills these past few months and so I haven't been able to buy as many books. However, as any good bibliophile would do, I've searched for other ways to obtain books. Goodreads has a giveaways section called First Reads and I've already won a few books. Turning Pages by Tristi Pinkston is one of the books I've won.


Turning Pages by Tristi Pinkston
ISBN: 978-0-9838293-6-2

Summary:

"With his pride and her prejudice, what could possibly go wrong?

When the arrogant Blake Hansen steals Addie Preston's promotion at the library, he pretty much rubs her nose in it. But Addie, who dreams of being a full-fledged librarian, decides to stick it out. She loves surrounding herself with books and keeping her father's memory alive in the building where they spent so much time together.

Soon, Addie learns that her beloved library will be torn down to make room for a larger facility, and she has to make a choice. Fight, or let go?

To complicate things, she finds herself attracted to Blake, who is engaged to someone else. Will Blake and Addie ever resolve their differences?"

My thoughts:

I loved the concept behind this story...a modern day Pride & Prejudice set in a library with the main characters being librarians. With most of the Goodreads First Reads giveaways they only have one copy for several hundred applicants. I don't remember how many copies there were for this one, but I kept hoping that I would get picked, and lo and behold, I was.

Turning Pages was a really quick read, but it was cute and I really enjoyed it. Addie is in school to become a librarian and is hoping for a promotion when it is given to Blake, a young man who has a Business degree and no librarian experience. I have seen this happen in real life, where library experience is overlooked for someone else with a different area of expertise. However, I found myself falling for Blake along with Addie, and I won't try to hide that one of the many reasons why was because he rode a motorcycle. 

The plots, both romantic and dealing with the library, were quite realistic and I loved it. Actually, I kind of really want to re-read Pride & Prejudice again.

I give it a 4.5/5, mostly because it was a great re-telling of a classic, but still, it was a re-telling. Still, I do recommend it for fans of libraries as well as fans of Jane Austen and Pride & Prejudice.



Other Readings:

Okay, so obviously I don't have much of an update from yesterday but I have made some more progress with The Stepsister Scheme by Jim C. Hines. I'm probably going to dig into Master of Crows by Grace Draven tonight.

Yet another From the Stacks will be up tomorrow. I will see you all then.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Danielle,

    Thanks so much for your review - and for Tweeting about it. :) I'm glad you won the book too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great book. Thank you for writing it.

      Delete