Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Countdown to NaNoWriMo

I love NaNoWriMo. For those who don't know anything about it, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month, a program put on by the OLL (Office of Letters and Light). It occurs every November and participants attempt to write 50,000 words on a new novel in just 30 days. 2012 marks the 13th year of NaNoWriMo, and I am proud to say that this year is my seventh go round.

NaNoWriMo site: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/dashboard

NaNoWriMo on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NaNoWriMo

NaNoWriMo also does word sprints, where you might write for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 45 minutes and is a quick little way to boost your word count each day. The word sprints are run on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NaNoWordSprints

They also have a blog: http://blog.lettersandlight.org/

Okay, so there's a lot of different places to get information about NaNoWriMo and I can tell you that it is a completely wonderful program. The OLL is a non-profit organization and they have done a lot of good around the world, between helping to raise money to build libraries around the world, to helping inspire hundreds of thousands of people to follow a dream to write a novel or at least attempt to write one.

Now, for those of you who do participate in NaNoWriMo and you'd like to be my writing buddy, unfortunately I have been participating under my own name, not my pen name. About the only way I could change my name on the site would be to send an e-mail and hope that it could be done, but I don't really plan on doing that. There is less pressure to write during a NaNo event if I only have friends and fellow Wrimos from my region follow my progress.

There are 22 days until the start of NaNoWriMo and so it is likely that my next few posts will be focused on my novel preparation for the event. More to come on that later, and there will be more From the Stacks posts over the next few days. I feel badly about disappearing for the past few weeks so I want to make it up to you all by writing more posts. So I'll be back with another From the Stacks tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment