Friday, January 9, 2015

January Book Haul

Okay, so I'm going to have a slightly different post today. My From the Stacks review will be up tomorrow, but I still want to have a Friday post so I'm talking about the books I've bought for the month of January.

Because I'm trying to focus on saving aside a bit of money and because I'm trying to actually accomplish writing, I'm limiting the books I'm allowed to buy. Basically just the authors on my auto-buy list, and books on my most anticipated list are being purchased. Of course, exceptions can be made for books that are free or really cheaply discounted.

I purchased three books from my most anticipated Jan/Feb list, because they were released this week, plus I got the first book in a series I've been wanting to try for a while. Then there are all the NOOK book deals I've seen.

So, here's a quick rundown of everything I've purchased this month and will be reading fairly soon:



First up: Unbound by Jim C. Hines. This is the third book in his Magic Ex Libris series that follows librarian Isaac Vainio, a man who has an awesome fire-spider companion named Smudge. Oh and Isaac also is a libriomancer, meaning he can reach into books and pull smallish items out to use in the real world, which is just really cool. This series is one of a small handful that I'll pay the extra price to own in hardcover. They're so good.



Now for the paperbacks. I devoured the Trylle trilogy rather quickly, and then did the same with the Watersong series. Amanda Hocking is great, so learning that she was going to return to the Trylle world and focus on another group, the Kanin, was exciting news. I'm excited to see what happens in this series, even more so because all three books will be out this year. Book two is out in May and book three is out in August. I love the short waiting period between books, and really admire Amanda Hocking's work ethic.


Finally for the new release books is the newest book by Amber Benson. I own her Calliope Reaper-Jones series but still haven't read them. However, I was still super excited to hear that Amber Benson (popularly known as having played Tara in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer") was writing a series about witches. That's a good enough reason to buy for me. Plus, that cover is pretty.


Then there's the book series I've been wanting to try for a while. It's considered a historical romance, but based on the series descriptions and the covers, I'd say that it's paranormal historical romance or steampunk-ish romance. Either way, I finally decided to get the first book and see if I like it, which is great timing because the newest book (Soulbound, book 6) comes out next month.

That's it for physical books and pictures. I'm just going to run really quickly through the NOOK books I've purchased.

- Ancilliary Justice by Ann Leckie
- His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik
- Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
- Called by Fire by Delwyn Jenkins
- A Soul for Atonement by Crista McHugh
- The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black
- Shadows of the Realm by Dionne Lister
- The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

I've heard/read rave reviews for Ancilliary Justice and His Majesty's Dragon by the Sword & Laser Book Club, and they were on sale so easy decision to make. Snow Like Ashes sounds awesome and Jennifer Estep recommended it while reading it herself, and I've been reading a lot of Jennifer Estep lately. I saw a post for the sequel to Called by Fire, which also said that the first book was currently free, so I'm always game to try a free book if they sound interesting. A Soul for Atonement is Crista McHugh's newest book and I own all her other ones so that was an auto-buy. I've heard a lot about The Coldest Girl in Coldtown and again, it was on sale. My author/poet buddy Ben Ditmars raves about a lot of author friends whose works he's read and I'm trying to branch out to new authors, so I decided to pick up Shadows of the Realm and support other self-pubbed/indie authors. Finally, The Naturals seems to combine "Criminal Minds" with super-powered teenagers and that is just cool enough to intrigue me.

So there...that's all the books I'm buying until my next book haul, which should happen towards the end of February.


No comments:

Post a Comment