Friday, September 7, 2012

From the Stacks: Iron Druid Chronicles

It seems almost unfair to title this review as being for the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne, seeing as how I've only read the first two books, but I can honestly say that I absolutely adore these books and I can't wait to dive into the third and fourth installments.

Sorry for the bad picture. I took it from my cell phone and then had to increase the size so it looks pixelated.

The first book is Hounded and the second is Hexed. The next book, which I will probably be reading sometime soon is Hammered and the fourth is Tricked. Book five, Trapped, will be released November 27, 2012, and then the final book, Hunted, is expected sometime in 2013.

Summaries

Hounded

"Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old—when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power—plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish—to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil."

Hexed

 "Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, doesn’t care much for witches. Still, he’s about to make nice with the local coven by signing a mutually beneficial nonaggression treaty—when suddenly the witch population in modern-day Tempe, Arizona, quadruples overnight. And the new girls are not just bad, they’re badasses with a dark history on the German side of World War II.

With a fallen angel feasting on local high school students, a horde of Bacchants blowing in from Vegas with their special brand of deadly decadence, and a dangerously sexy Celtic goddess of fire vying for his attention, Atticus is having trouble scheduling the witch hunt. But aided by his magical sword, his neighbor’s rocket-propelled grenade launcher, and his vampire attorney, Atticus is ready to sweep the town and show the witchy women they picked the wrong Druid to hex."

My thoughts:

I definitely give both of these books 5/5. I've never been to Arizona but the details infused in the story definitely make the setting feel very very realistic. I love the narrator, Atticus, and I especially adore his dog Oberon, who is a very amusing companion and often has some lines that made me laugh quite loudly. There is a nice blend of action, emotional scenes, and humor throughout these books. I especially enjoyed how believable Atticus is as both a 2,000 year old Druid and acting as a modern-day 20-something. 

As I said before I cannot wait to dive into the next couple of books, though I think part of the reason why I haven't already is because I don't want to be as disappointed when I have completely finished them. It is a habit I have had with several series I have enjoyed; to keep from being devastated by the end I just stop and hold off on reading the last book or two for as long as possible so I can savor the experience. However, unlike some of the other series I have done this with, I know I will be pulled in by the adventures of Atticus and will have to set aside a couple hours to read Hammered. Perhaps I will simply have to save Tricked until it is closer to the release of book five.

Iron Druid Chronicles at Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?series_id=671364


Other Readings:

I have made more progress with Tigana and with any luck I will have it finished in time for next week's From the Stacks. Right now I am trying to figure out a decent schedule so I can get in both writing and reading time, situated around my hectic work schedule and of course time to sleep. I have also found a couple more books that sound absolutely fascinating so hopefully I will have some more fun reads to recommend here in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment