Tuesday, January 14, 2014

In Search of Alpha Readers and Beta Readers

A lot of the writing process is incredibly solitary, but I've found that it really helps to have people around you to keep you inspired and motivated and even to keep you from making really silly spelling and grammar errors. I have a couple friends who have read through some of my novels-in-progress over the years, but I'm looking for people who want to help with the process so the books are as shiny and polished as they can be before they are published.

There are two different areas to help, and if you think you fit either category, please let me know. These areas are Alpha Readers and Beta Readers, and each are very important for different reasons.

Alpha Readers are on the front lines of the writing process. The way I see Alpha Readers are that they are looking at big areas that could derail a novel: specifically looking at characters, plot, description, dialogue. They are reading through the story to be certain that it makes sense and has a nice flow to it, without holding every sentence up to a magnifying glass, because Alpha Readers will likely be getting to look at a fairly rough draft.

Once the novel is finished I typically set it aside for a few days or a week and then do a read-through to see if I can catch any glaring errors. After that, the process should move on to the Beta Readers, who are basically editors. They are looking for problems with spelling, grammar, and anything else they want to nitpick on. It is best if Beta Readers are very detail oriented and are good with proper spelling and grammar. I can catch quite a bit of my mistakes but sometimes after reading through something a dozen times your brain skims over even the most obvious of mistakes.

I mostly write fantasy, paranormal/supernatural novels. Currently my novels feature angelic beings, Death, the Angel of Death, ghosts, mediators, kitsunes, werewolves, witches, vampires, merpeople, etc.

So, if you'd like to be an Alpha or Beta Reader, let me know in the comments, find me on Facebook (www.facebook.com/magicinthestacks), or send me an e-mail at daniellethamasa@yahoo.com with the subject Alpha Reader (or) Beta Reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment