Wednesday, June 5, 2013

So Many Books to Read

Okay, so I read a lot of books. So many that sometimes I have a hard time remembering all the books I've read. Really, I should have predicted this problem back in my youth and kept a list of everything I've read. In my first semester of grad school I was required to join Goodreads. Yes, that's right, one of my first assignments for one of my librarian classes was to join Goodreads and/or LibraryThing. Since then I have been trying to input all the books I can remember reading. Just including the ones I read from Junior High to about midway through college, I accumulated over 1,000 books. The problem is that I know there are so many others I don't have listed there.

Thankfully though, thanks to Goodreads, I don't have to worry about forgetting those books any longer. Now I like to keep track of the books I am currently reading, the ones I want to read, and the ones that I have read. What is really funny to me is that my to-read list is almost as long as my read list...and the to-read list just keeps growing and growing. It is over 850 books long so far. I want to try and read as many of them as I possibly can, but I know that there is no way I could read them all...unless I had a job where all I did was read books and then review them.

Not only do I have my to-read list on Goodreads, but I also have an actual physical TBR pile in my room and then I have my virtual TBR pile on my NOOK. Just in case people don't want to believe me on this, here is a picture of my current physical TBR pile:


Most of these are books I've purchased the last couple times I went to B&N, but there are about five that I won in giveaways. Not surprisingly, my NOOK TBR pile is bigger, but it would be extremely difficult to try and take a picture of that considering my TBR pile actually takes up all three of my home screens on my NOOK.

Yes, I've already read over 80 books this year, and clearly I am going to probably read about 80 more. Books are my addiction and it is an addiction I never plan to give up. Thankfully books are not as hazardous to my health as other vices such as drinking or smoking or drugs. I know I get weird looks from some people when I talk about books as much and as passionately as I do, but I am not going to change for anyone.

I am a bibliophile. I am a librarian. If I do not have books with me then I am not happy. Through the books I've read over the years I have traveled to so many different countries and worlds and planets. I have made some amazing friends, swooned over some extremely crushworthy men, and faced down terrifying villains and monsters. I have experienced love and loss, friendship, triumph, failure, adventure, and have collected enormous amounts of knowledge.

When the rest of the world seems to be falling down around me and when reality is just too depressing to face, I have my books. They are always there for me, very dependable, and for that I have always been grateful.

How about you guys? What is your feeling/relationship with books? Are you reading anything that you think I should add to my ever-growing to-read list?

Oh, and I should probably say that I'm thinking of changing the review format a little for my From the Stacks reviews. It'll still have a picture of the book, the summary, and of course links to purchase the book, but in the My Thoughts section, I'm thinking of breaking it down and going over my feelings about the cover, whether or not the summary pulled me in, and then discussing my feelings of the characters, the relationships, and the plot.

For the month of June I'm busy with some final edits for Project Death: Resurrection and then in July I will be dealing with the second session of Camp NaNoWriMo, but I'm thinking that I'll start the new From the Stacks format at the beginning of August.

No comments:

Post a Comment