Wednesday, June 12, 2013

More Info on Project Death: Resurrection

Okay, so I've talked about my novel, Project Death: Resurrection, on here quite a bit, but it has been a while since I've really been able to give any sort of update. That is mostly because of my currently rather hectic work life and the fact that I spend a lot of time basically helping my parents to babysit my grandmother. Now, I'm not saying that as if I'm complaining because I love my grandmother, but I do feel guilty if I'm sitting with her and I pull out a notebook or my laptop to try and get some writing work done.

Anyway, here we are almost halfway through the month of June. What this means (aside from the start of Camp NaNoWriMo growing steadily nearer) is that my CreateSpace code is close to expiring, which basically means that I need to step up my game just a little bit. I've created a nice schedule and, if everything goes as planned, Project Death: Resurrection will be released at the end of the month.

In light of that fact I have decided to once again tell you all about the book and all the information I've basically been tinkering with behind the scenes these past few weeks/months.


This is the front cover of the paperback version and the only cover for what will eventually be the e-book version as well. Once I have the paperback released I'll be focusing most of my attention on Camp NaNoWriMo in July, so it's likely that I won't be able to get around to the novel interior reformatting for the e-book version until August. Which means that for a month to two months my book will only be available in paperback.

Now, I've been doing some playing around with the price point and trying to figure out what would be reasonable for the readers/consumers while also giving me even a tiny profit. CreateSpace has a couple different options when it comes to distribution: standard and expanded. The standard distribution is free to the author and includes having your book available via Amazon.com, the CreateSpace eStore, and the option to go ebook for Kindle. That's nice and all, but I am also a huge supporter of Barnes & Noble and it would be nice to have my book available there too. Looking into the expanded distribution, it is a $25 fee to utilize, but may actually be more beneficial in the long run. 

What is Expanded Distribution?
Expanded Distribution offers you the opportunity to access a larger audience through more online retailers, bookstores, libraries, academic institutions, and distributors within the United States. Expanded Distribution will also improve discoverability of your book across all the channels. Regardless of whether or not you include your title in Expanded Distribution, all CreateSpace titles can be distributed through the Amazon.com, Amazon Europe and eStore channels.
How does it work?
Most online retailers, bookstores, and libraries find books through purchasing relationships with large distributors. If your book is not listed with these distributors, some retailers may not be able to buy your book, even if a customer specifically requests your title. Through Expanded Distribution you can distribute and make your title available for order (this does not guarantee that your book will actually be ordered) through the following channels:
  • Bookstores and Online Retailers - make your book available to online and offline retailers such as Barnes & Noble and to distributors such as Ingram and NACSCORP.
  • Libraries and Academic Institutions - make your book available through Baker & Taylor to libraries and academic institutions.
  • CreateSpace Direct - make your book available to certified resellers through our wholesale website.
I think this would work a lot better for me, but with expanded distribution and its cost, it makes it a little more difficult to make a profit. I was doing some tinkering and some looking at prices for comparably sized books to mine and originally I thought for the paperback that $9.95 would be reasonable, and it would be a really decent profit margin using standard distribution, but with expanded distribution I would actually be losing roughly $0.50 for every book. I moved the price up to $10.95 and that negative profit on expanded distribution moved up to a loss of about $0.10 for every book, but a price of $11.95 would yield me about $0.33 profit from each book. I really would have preferred to stick with $9.95 but if I go with expanded distribution so my book is available in more places then I have to be mindful of how that affects everything else.

However, when I reformat for ebook, I'm hoping that I can really lower that price for the readers while still being profitable for me. I plan on utilizing Smashwords for the ebook process so I can have my book formatted for NOOK, Kindle, Kobo, Sony Reader, iBooks, etc. because I want as many people as possible to be able to find my book in a format that works for them. I'll have to do a little more research and tinkering, but as of right now I'm thinking that for Project Death: Resurrection the ebook price will most likely be $3.99 or $4.99.

Okay, enough talk of the dollars and cents and all that sort of stuff. I know I've posted it before, but once again, here is the back-cover summary for Project Death: Resurrection:



Tamesis always thought that she knew her destiny and she was determined to be the absolute best Resurrector there was. 

But, Fate had different plans. On her first heal, Tamesis runs into two mysterious men, and one of them changes everything for her.

Tamesis cannot stop thinking and dreaming about him. Then, when the work of the Resurrectors is threatened, the man returns and sets Tamesis on a path that opposes everything she was raised to believe.

Something has twisted the beliefs of the Resurrectors, causing them to stray from their path and become extremists. They were supposed to save those who still had noble work to do, but instead insist that everyone deserves to live until old age. 

Now she needs to accept the role she was destined to have, that of the Angel of Death, healing those she can and reaping the souls of those who must die. 

Her new position makes her a valuable player in a war that has gone on for centuries, between Resurrectors and those who protect the Balance of Life and Death. It is a dangerous place as the war heats up, threatening to throw everything into chaos.


 Oh, and I'm also planning on having a couple of giveaways for my book, most likely on Goodreads. The Goodreads giveaway books will be pretty special because they will be signed, and who knows, but that could be worth something someday. I mean, come on, I can dream, right? I so can't wait to have a copy of my book in my hands. I'll have more information about where you can buy the book if you're interested here in a few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I did a lot of thinking about this at work today, and I've reached a different plan/solution for the pricing, etc. I will have two versions of the book. The original version, published via CreateSpace will be $9.95 for the paperback. Then, perhaps at the end of this year/beginning of next year, I will release a special edition paperback via Barnes & Noble's PubIt system and it will probably be at the higher price point of $14.95. I still need to decide whether it will include a bonus story or the first chapter of the sequel or whatever else I might think of, but it will have bonus goodies. Heck, it might even have a bonus story AND the first chapter of Project Death: Revelation.

    ReplyDelete