Monday, May 27, 2013

From the Stacks: Spirit by Brigid Kemmerer

The newest book in the Elemental series is just as good as the previous ones. I can't even say enough how amazing this series is.



Summary: 

With power comes enemies. Lots of them.
Hunter Garrity just wants to be left alone. He's learned the hard way that his unusual abilities come at a price. And he can't seem to afford any allies.
He's up to his neck in hostiles. His grandfather, spoiling for a fight. The Merrick brothers, who think he ratted them out. Calla, the scheming psycho who wants to use him as bait.
Then there's Kate Sullivan, the new girl at school. She's not hostile. She's bold. Funny. Hot. But she's got an agenda, too.
With supposedly secret powers rippling to the surface everywhere around him, Hunter knows something ugly is about to go down. But finding out what means he'll have to find someone he can trust. . .

My Thoughts: 

Anyone who has followed my reviews and Tweets while I'm reading this series knows that I flip back and forth amongst the Merrick brothers when deciding which is my favorite, because whatever novella or novel I'm reading, I tend to like that brother best. The lone ranger who doesn't fit into that category is Hunter as he isn't a Merrick, but this book did finally solidify my order on the Merrick list of favorites.

Don't get me wrong; Hunter is a great character, and I like the struggle that he faces with attempting to figure out who exactly he trusts and what he wants to fight for in what is basically becoming a war on so many different fronts. And as the summary of the book says, he has people and issues converging on him from all sides. But that's where my favorite Merrick brother really steps in. Seeing how Michael acts towards Hunter in this book and sort of tries to take Hunter in and treat him much in the same way he does his own younger brothers is wonderful and endearing and I think it is just what Hunter needs, even if it takes him a while to see that.

The one issue, and I guess it isn't a big issue, with this book, and with Hunter's romantic story lines is that he seems to go from girl to girl...and you know, I can totally blame that on him being a Spirit user because much like the Merricks seem to be drawn to their individual elements, Hunter is drawn towards people, who basically embody Spirit. In Storm, Hunter is interested in Becca, and in Fearless he's interested in a different girl (which takes place pre-Storm), and here in Spirit, there's now Kate. I hope that after this book Hunter starts to settle down a bit on all of this, because I think underneath all of his issues and tough exterior, he is a good guy.

I devour these books so incredibly quickly that it makes waiting for the next one even longer and feel too far away for my liking, but they are so amazing that I also want Brigid Kemmerer to be able to have the time to write these books properly. I am so excited to read both Nick's book and Michael's book. Obviously, like every other book in this series, I give Spirit a 5/5. If you haven't started reading this series yet, now is definitely the time to do so. They are amazing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment