Monday, May 6, 2013

From the Stacks: Kept by Shawntelle Madison

Okay, so this time I am once again reading a sequel to a book I have already read and reviewed on this blog. This is Kept, a Coveted novel by Shawntelle Madison and I very much enjoyed it.



Summary:

"Fresh from defending her pack in battle, Natalya Stravinsky, a whip-smart werewolf with a lovable neurotic streak, wants a little rest and relaxation. Once an outcast, she’s now eager to rejoin the ranks of her New Jersey pack, and has even gotten a handle on her obsessive urge to hoard holiday ornaments. Yet Nat barely has time to revel in her progress before the next crisis comes howling at her door.

Nat’s father has suddenly gone missing, captured by the Russian werewolf mafia. And as Nat steps up to save her dad from a mob boss’s deadly game, two men step in to play another round for her heart: her gorgeous alpha ex-boyfriend, Thorn, and her new flame, the sweetly sensitive wizard Nick. With her life growing more harried by the minute, Nat must stay cool, calm, and collected . . . or else risk losing everything."

My Thoughts:

Okay, so I read this at a point when I did not have a job and therefore couldn't afford to buy books. However, libraries have really evolved with the times and not only can you actually go into the library and borrow books, but a number of them have even started to purchase special e-book licenses and then a patron can go to the e-book library web site and borrow books from there. For my library that means a loan period of only two weeks, and for some of the more popular books, there could be a wait for a couple of months, but still...the book is delivered via e-mail so I never have to leave the house.

Anyway, I love this series. Having the neurotic and lovable Nat as the main character is just fun. She is incredibly realistic to me and watching her deal with her compulsion to buy holiday ornaments and decorations, as well as trying to fit back into her pack and home makes this a wonderfully complex tale.

Also, can I just say that I adore the covers? The cover for Kept is better than the cover for Coveted, but they are still both really cool.

Just like a number of paranormal books/movies/TV shows nowadays, Nat struggles with her feelings for both her ex Thorn and Nick, but at least to me, I see no contest...I am a fan of Nat and Nick. He understands her in a way I don't think Thorn can just yet, since Nick struggles with a similar compulsive condition. Yes, Thorn is quite protective of Nat and does tend to sometimes go all alpha mode on people, but I don't know...maybe I'm starting to lean more towards the guys who are more Beta than Alpha. They seem to be a little more kind and caring.

Nat has grown since I first met her at the start of Coveted, and I really look forward to seeing how she grows further with the next book. Now, if only I did not have to wait so long to get the next book. A 5/5.

Kept at Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/kept-shawntelle-madison/1111326036?ean=9780345529176

Kept at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Kept-A-Coveted-Novel-ebook/dp/B008AI77F0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1363304701&sr=1-1&keywords=shawntelle+madison+kept

No comments:

Post a Comment