Wednesday, February 20, 2013

From the Stacks: The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson

This book was quite detailed and intriguing and I can't think of anything I could conceivably compare it to. Absolutely outstanding. The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson will be released March 1, 2013.



Summary:

"A heart-stopping story of love, death, technology, and art set amid the tropics of a futuristic Brazil.

The lush city of Palmares Tres shimmers with tech and tradition, with screaming gossip casters and practiced politicians. In the midst of this vibrant metropolis, June Costa creates art that's sure to make her legendary. But her dreams of fame become something more when she meets Enki, the bold new Summer King. The whole city falls in love with him (including June's best friend, Gil). But June sees more to Enki than amber eyes and a lethal samba. She sees a fellow artist.

Together, June and Enki will stage explosive, dramatic projects that Palmares Tres will never forget. They will add fuel to a growing rebellion against the government's strict limits on new tech. And June will fall deeply, unfortunately in love with Enki. Because like all Summer Kings before him, Enki is destined to die.

Pulsing with the beat of futuristic Brazil, burning with the passions of its characters, and overflowing with ideas, this fiery novel will leave you eager for more from Alaya Dawn Johnson."

My Thoughts:

In a few words, this book was absolutely stunning. It took me a little while to read it because it is not exactly broken up into chapters, but rather seasons, and I tend to be a read until you get to a chapter break type of person. This book does have section breaks though. Still, I thought it was amazing.

I loved all the art and the dancing and the vibrancy in this book. Though I've never been to Brazil, I found it very easy to believe that I was there. In University I took a ballroom dancing class, and we did learn the samba, and there was something about this book that made me want to get up and dance; it was like I could hear the music pulsing through me, which definitely sucked me even further into the world.

Here is something I found to be very interesting about this book, and I'm really glad that it was mentioned in there (though I am also glad that it wasn't in any sort of graphic detail). I guess I should also say that this is kinda, but not really, a SPOILER. In this book, not only does June masturbate, but she also has sex. She is a seventeen-year-old-girl and these things are to be expected. Yes, not every person does it at that age, but it seems like in society today, a large number of teens are out there doing it, and trying to make books or movies or TV shows seem like they aren't (or that they are worse than rabbits) does not help at all. Really, the focus should be on knowing the risks and consequences, and how to protect yourself.

Anyway, I loved the relationships in The Summer Prince. They were complex and deep and real, and every character felt as if they truly existed. In Palmares Tres, no one has a problem with homosexuality, which is how I think the world should be. I am not bothered in any way, shape, or form, by people who are attracted to the same sex. Love is love, people, and I think this book highlights that. It was wonderful.

I don't want to spoil anything, but the tech in this book, and the twists, and trying to figure out what exactly went wrong with the political system, since it seems that Palmares Tres is on the brink of a revolution, it was all so intense that I was almost desperate to figure it out.

I think that The Summer Prince deals with a lot of real world issues that are taking place now and almost certainly will continue on into whatever our future societies turn out to be as well. I absolutely loved reading this book, and I am grateful that NetGalley gave me the opportunity. I will definitely be looking forward to reading more books by Alaya Dawn Johnson. The Summer Prince is a definite 5/5.

The Summer Prince at Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-summer-prince-alaya-dawn-johnson/1112220579?ean=9780545417792

The Summer Prince at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Prince-Alaya-Dawn-Johnson/dp/0545417791/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361373857&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Summer+Prince

Other Readings:

In readings and other fun news, my review of Ellie James's Broken Illusions earned me yet another retweet from the author on Twitter, a thank you, and an offer for a signed copy of the third book, Fragile Darkness. I always feel amazing when given the opportunity to continue doing what I love...reading books and sharing that love with others. It's an amazing feeling. Also, thanks to the wonderful NetGalley, I have managed to snag an advance uncorrected copy of Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead...which doesn't actually release until June. So, though I'll be devouring the book later today, I won't be reviewing it for a few months yet. I may do a tweet or two about it. You can find me on Twitter: @DanielleThamasa. You can even friend me on Facebook; I am Danielle Thamasa there as well. If you do friend me on FB, just let me know that you came over from my blog; you'll be accepted a lot faster that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment